Get out of your home for the 'Holiday'

I have a confession: I'm a whore for Nancy Meyers' movies. I feel so warm and fuzzy every time I watch "Father of the Bride," I'm practically a human blanket. I laugh just as hard as Diane Keaton cries during "Something's Gotta Give," and it's disgusting how many times I've seen "The Parent Trap" (I can even teach the kick-ass handshake.) Director Meyers is the queen of comfort food movies, and her latest, "The Holiday," is one delectable bowl of chicken noodle soup.\n"The Holiday" would probably better be viewed at home where one has access to a fast-forward button (and pajamas). The beginning drags as it has to deal with the film's awkward premise. Heartbroken by their ruined relationships, Hollywood hot shot Amanda (Cameron Diaz), and British every-girl Iris (Kate Winslet) switch homes to vacation and escape their hectic lives (although if you ask me these houses are way too nice -- fantastically furnished by set decorator Cindy Carr and crew. Also, their jobs, and wardrobes are far too nice to be depressed). But once the film gets going, it becomes charming as hell. While on holiday, Iris befriends Amanda's delightful elderly neighbor, a veteran screenwriter played by veteran actor Eli Wallach, (who did kind of play the same role a few weeks ago on an episode of "Studio 60"), and a love interest played by a surprisingly convincing Jack Black. Amanda on the other hand falls for Iris' brother Graham (Jude Law fresh out of a tanning bed). \nWhile the actors all do a great job, Meyers (who also wrote the screenplay) is clearly the film's star. She's quite the cinematic magician. Not only does she show us how she'll perform her tricks and practice constructive film elements, we still unsuspectingly fall for them. She wonderfully sprinkles the film with 1960s Phil Spector classics, jazz, and Hans Zimmers' flowing score. Meyers obviously wants to keep the romanticized feel of classic Hollywood alive (references to old films are often made), and achieves it with the film's heartening tone and amiable supporting characters. While "The Holiday" takes place in a fantasy world where only love matters, never does it feel as contrived as most romantic comedies. Charming is really the only way to describe the film.\nWhat a coincidence that "The Holiday" comes out during the holiday season. Round up some friends and family and melt in its warm glow together.