'76 ring worth more than cash

Former coach, owner of ring helped IU's Benson

The recent selling of the Hoosiers' 1976 basketball championship ring has provoked many evaluations of the item itself. But what was lost among all the hoopla is the man behind the ring. \nThe first 1976 championship ring sold on eBay for $50,100 on Dec. 3. But this price does not capture the value put on the ring by its late owner Harold Andreas, former player Kent Benson said. \nBenson, a star center on the 1976 undefeated Hoosiers, said that a monetary tag had been placed on a ring that had sentimental value to the former assistant coach Andreas, as it was his first and only championship ring throughout many years of coaching. \nBenson received many accolades during his career as a Hoosier. He garnered the Most Outstanding Player of the 1976 NCAA tournament award and was the consensus All-American and Big Ten MVP of the 1976 season. He also scored 25 points in IU's 86-68 championship win against Michigan.\nBenson credits Andreas for helping him become one of the all-time greats in IU basketball history.\n"Coach Andreas was very instrumental in my career," Benson said. "He was a good friend who gave me a lot of encouragement."\nAndreas was a valuable factor in the championship dynasty, Benson said, as the former assistant coach spent long hours working tirelessly to help players become the best possible. \n"I was blessed to have him as a coach," he said. "He made a big effort to help me succeed, and we worked many hours after practice on my hook shot and the intangibles."\nMany credit Andreas for the formation of the 1976 Hoosier team as well. He gave former IU coach Bob Knight his first job at Cuyahoga Falls High School in Ohio. \n"He knew the game," Benson said of Andreas. "Knight obviously wanted him on his staff."\nBut where Andreas left his mark the most was on the players.\n"He had a genuine interest in the players," Benson said. "He wanted you to succeed on and off the court"