'Queen' of the castle

When Princess Diana was fatally killed in a car accident in 1997, I was an eighth grader. It was a time when I was young and had more important things on my mind -- I really didn't know much about her at all. After seeing "The Queen," I felt as if I was given a most rewarding history lesson. \n"The Queen" details the week after Diana's death and how Queen Elizabeth II (Helen Mirren) lacked any sort of reaction while all of England and the world mourned the loss. At the same time, Tony Blair (Michael Sheen) was elected into office and was trying to bring a sense of modernism to the stuffy halls of Parliament. The Queen and Blair would come together, despite their differences, and give Princess Diana the proper funeral she deserved: A public one. \nWhat is fascinating about "The Queen," next to how much research went into such a project, is the reaction that comes from the royal family. Princess Diana was no longer a member of the HRH, and the debates raged on and on over every issue. Do they use the royal jet or a normal one to fly to France and claim the body? Should the funeral be private or public? What we first observe is a situation where monarchial policy takes precedence over human emotion, yet slowly progresses to the other end of the spectrum.\nMirren's performance is practically an Oscar lock for Best Actress. The role calls for such nuance, grace and reservation that even the slightest error would cause a complete lack of believability. Mirren achieves a flawless performance. \nWhen Queen Elizabeth II finally does have her breakdown, it is not in the company of others, but rather a serene moment in the forest where even a single tear becomes beautiful and cathartic. \nThe rest of the cast fairs well, although all performances are in the towering shadow of Mirren. Michael Sheen looks so much like the young Tony Blair that it's scary; the performance alone bearing great resemblance to the demeanor of the Prime Minister. James Cromwell takes on a Brit accent for the role of Prince Phillip, who is equally --amusing and despicable the latter if only for how much it shows he could really care less about Diana's passing. \nIn the end, "The Queen" is an authentic product that looks into how one family handled a situation that could not remain private: The world really loved Princess Diana. In a TV clip near the closing minutes, we realize Diana never really wanted to be a princess. She felt more comfortable being away from Buckingham Palace and out exploring the world through her charity work.