Pixar pulls off another winner

There's something about "Cars" that I just can't put my finger on. It has nowhere near as an original concept as some past Pixar films. The story's nothing new; a hot shot egocentric rookie learns the errors of his ways through small town values and the guidance of a crotchety old wise-man, who used to be a hot shot egocentric rookie himself. The humor isn't quite as razor sharp. Yet "Cars" is so pleasant and at ease with itself, it's just as enjoyable as its Pixar siblings. \nOwen Wilson voices Lightning McQueen, said hot shot race car who is heading to California for a big race against his rival. On the way he gets in trouble with the local law town of Radiator Springs, a boonies sort of town off the highway that Lighting accidentally destroys. Here he encounters Doc the local judge (Paul Newman) who wants nothing to do with McQueen's renegade personality. Sally (Bonnie Hunt), another sports car who escaped the hustle and bustle of city life for the more peaceful country life, decides it'd be better to keep Lightning around for some community service. As Lightning freaks out about the possibility of missing his race, he slowly learns the value of friendship and family.\n"Cars" may take some getting used to as every character is, well, a car. Unlike "Toy Story" and "Finding Nemo," the plot doesn't revolve around objects in the (relatively) human world coming to life and speaking. Everything in the world of "Cars" from the bees to the cows is a car; no humans exist. \nUnfortunately some of "Cars"' visual magnificence will be lost when viewed on smaller home systems. Yet the picture is still crystal clear and the animation is magnificent. The film preaches to get out and enjoy the beauty of Route 66 and middle America, but seeing it animated so well defeats the purpose of a week long car trip.\nThe cast, also including Cheech Marin, George Carlin and Tony Shalhoub, does a stellar job as Pixar continues choosing the right voice for the character, not the big names that look best on top of the title. Somehow Larry the Cable Guy as the well-meaning hillbilly Mater (the Dori to Lightning's Nemo) manages to steal the show.\nSpecial features include a new animated short, "Mater and the Ghostlight," and the spectacular short "One Man Band" that played before the film during its theatrical run. Be sure to watch the hilarious end credits where past Pixar films are re-imagined as car movies. Whatever it is that "Cars" has -- charm, spirit, whatever -- it works. Like a finely tuned engine.