TV reporter possible witness in upcoming Behrman trial

Ability to report on trial in future called into question

An Indianapolis television reporter has been named as a possible witness in the murder trial of John R. Myers II, who is accused of killing IU student Jill Behrman in 2000.\nKim King, a reporter and weekend meteorologist for Fox 59 News, has previously covered the upcoming Jill Behrman trial for the WXIN station. \nLast week officials released documents showing that King was listed as a potential witness for both the prosecution and defense in the Behrman case. \nThe Sept. 21 letter made public by the Morgan County Circuit Court shows that King and Fox 59 retained an attorney from the Indianapolis law firm Bingham McHale in an attempt to discover if she had been listed as a witness for either side.\nMorgan County Superior Court Judge Christopher Burnham informed her attorneys that King was indeed a witness and advised them that King was also subject to the witness separation order issued July 11. The documents did not reveal why King was being named as one of more than 100 possible witnesses in this case.\nThe witness separation order states that potential witnesses may not discuss their testimony or any facts about the case with any other potential witnesses, the media or other members of the public for the duration of the trial. In accordance with these rules, it is unlikely that King will be able to report on the Behrman trial.\nAnthony Fargo, an associate professor in the IU School of Journalism who specializes in media law, said being called as a witness in any trial is something reporters try to avoid.\n"Generally, new reporters don't like to be witnesses if they can help it," Fargo said. "It calls into question their objectivity. If (King) is being asked something that was told to her by a confidential source, that raises all kinds of complications."\nOn Aug. 25, King was denied access to both the prosecution and defense witness lists after filing a public access records act request. King was not available for comment.