Students seek forgiveness on Yom Kippur

Though most of the student population will be in class today, a small group of students will be asking for forgiveness and praying they will be included in The Book of Life. \nThe Jewish holiday Yom Kippur, or The Day of Atonement, began Sunday evening and ends at sundown Monday. Rabbi Sue Shifron, executive director of the Helene G. Simon Hillel Center, said Yom Kippur is one of the most important days in the Jewish calendar.\n"It's the single holiest day in the Jewish calendar," Shifron said. "Many students who don't come to regular Shabbat service will come to Yom Kippur service."\nShifron said the holiday is important because it is about asking for forgiveness from those you have wronged in the past year. The Jewish new year Rosh Hashanah, which was last weekend, marks the beginning of the Days of Awe. Shifron added that during this time forgiveness should be asked from the people you've wronged in the past. \nSenior Claire Bernstein said the day is a chance for her to look back at who she has been the past year. \n"It's not a celebratory holiday; it is a very solemn holiday," Bernstein said. "You're hoping you won't be asking for forgiveness for the same thing next year." \nMany Jewish students go home during holidays such as Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, but Joanna Blotner, senior and president of Hillel, expects a big turnout for Yom Kippur service. \n"During Yom Kippur you see people and family you haven't seen all year; hence, that is why a lot of students go home," Blotner said. "This year it does not fall on a weekend, so a lot of students will attend service at St. Paul Catholic Center. You wouldn't know it was a Christian place. It's still a holy place, and that's good."\nSt. Paul Catholic Center offered to host Yom Kippur services, and Shifron said the group took it up on the offer immediately. \n"There isn't a space on campus that can accommodate us," she said. "The IU Auditorium would make us pay thousands of dollars, and it was too big, it didn't feel like we are close, and the biggest room at Hillel holds only 150 to 200 people." \nSt. Paul's Catholic Center hosts Yom Kippur for free and covers up all Christian symbols at its own expense and initiative. \n"You couldn't imagine the graciousness and outpouring from the community," Shifron said. "They've been warm, welcoming and loving. We couldn't ask for a space to be given to us with more love." \nFasting and prayer are a big part of Yom Kippur, and many students took part in a pre-fast meal before fasting began at sundown Sunday. Along with no eating or drinking, observers are not supposed to bathe, brush their teeth, wash their hair, wear leather or have sexual relations. Though those are the usual customs, some students will choose to observe the holiday differently. \n"I can't go a day without showering," Blotner said. "I don't feel like I could repent or pray as well if I hadn't showered. I couldn't concentrate on repenting." \nBlotner said the holiday is more personal and cultural for her. She will go to at least one of her classes and shower, but it does not take away from the importance of the holiday or what it means. \n"It is an experience of self--discovery," she said. "The new year is about self-discovery and evaluating yourself as a Jewish individual and how it affects the community"