Foster to get new late-night hangout this spring

Dorm residents will have a new late-night hangout as early as next semester. The venue is an empty wing of Gresham Food Court, and Residential Programs and Services Executive Director Pat Connor said RPS hopes to place pool tables, arcade games, flat screen TVs and more in the area.\nWith some acoustical adjustments to the space, he said it could even become a concert hall with a concession stand and could stay open until 2 a.m. \nFreshmen are excited about the prospect of a new hangout, since The Underground in Foster Quad and the Cheshire Cafe in Collins Living-Learning Center are currently the only places open past 10 p.m. in the Northwest neighborhood. Both are open until midnight.\nWhen told about the possible addition, freshman Josh James was excited.\n"Video games and food? You can't beat that," he said.\nPlans are in the early stages, and RPS has no cost estimates or potential venue names, but Connor said RPS hopes to finish the project by spring break. He said RPS hopes to work out the kinks and figure out the best utilization of the space, which will be paid for by RPS's \nrenovation funds. The ultimate plans are to have a fully functional space before the school year ends and have it be student-run.\n"It's important because our belief is that students are looking for space on campus where they can meet people," Connor said. "We're looking to have a space with fun activities going on at night."\nRPS has a designer working on the site, which is bare at the moment except for a few tables and chairs stacked along the walls. \n"Right now we're just doing site preparation and taking down ceiling tiles," Connor said. "The next stage begins after final approval of architecture."\nThe space will be a late-night hangout like The Underground, but it will not be focused on food. Though this space will be just above The Underground, it is in no way replacing the late-night food court, Sandra Fowler, director of dining services, said.\n"There had been no discussion at this point of relocating or removing The Underground," Fowler said.\nTwo freshmen eating pizza and fries at The Underground contemplated the potential for the eatery, unaware that a new hot spot would be opening in the near future.\n"I think they should be open until 2 a.m. I like it here," freshman Greg Anderson said of The Underground. "The drunken munchies kick in at 1"