First wins of the season costly to Hoosier team

New rules lead to large number of penalty minutes

The IU hockey team remains unbeaten after winning both games this weekend against Robert Morris University.\nThe Hoosiers (2-0-2) beat Robert Morris (1-4-0) Friday and Saturday at the Frank Southern Ice Arena in Bloomington, notching their first wins of the season.\nIU forward Dan Karlander kicked off the game with an early goal. From that point on, the Hoosiers never looked back. Though the team won the game 4-2, they suffered other losses on the ice.\nThe game, which senior forward Mark Fischer called "chippy," included two disqualifications of Hoosier players and another who was kicked out of the game. Senior forward Adam Fishbein and senior defenseman Richard Young were the players disqualified from the game for retaliation penalties. They had to sit out Saturday's match. Senior forward Matt Henderson was kicked out of Friday's game but was allowed to play in the match Saturday.\nSaturday's game was not much cleaner, with the scrappy play continuing. Another Hoosier, senior forward Mike Casper, was disqualified halfway through the third period for retaliating to a slash. IU took a 3-1 lead into the third period, but the Eagles cut the lead midway through the final period. The Hoosiers came right back and scored a goal to put the game away. IU prevailed 4-2. Senior goalie Jimmy Hugill led the team with 25 saves during the game.\nThe team struggled with the new, stricter obstruction rules and had trouble adapting its game to the referees, Fischer said. He added that it was hard to establish a flow during the game because of the number of penalties and amount of combative play.\nThe teams combined for 56 minutes of penalties during the first game and 78 during the second game. The first game also had five major penalties and the second game had four.\nThe Hoosiers look to work on some aspects of their game in practice this week before they travel to Chicago to face off against DePaul University (4-3-2). The games at 9:15 p.m. Friday and 6:30 p.m. Saturday will be the home openers for the Blue Demons, who split their games on the road against Miami University of Ohio this past weekend.\n"Under the new rules, a lot of the game is spent on either the power play or the penalty kill," Fischer said. "These are the two aspects of the game we are going to work on this week"