Candidates face off in state auditor race

Current Indiana auditor will not seek re-election

Two candidates with two different types of past experience in public life -- one at the state level, the other at the county level -- are vying for the state auditor's position.\nThe state auditor serves as the chief financial officer of Indiana and "has four primary duties, including accounting for all of the state's funds; overseeing and disbursing county, city, town, and school tax distributions; paying the state's bills; and paying the state's employees," according to current state auditor Connie Kay Nass' Web site.\nNass, a Republican, is not seeking re-\nTIM BERRY - REPUBLICAN\nRepublican Tim Berry has served as Indiana's state treasurer since 1998. \nDuring his tenure, Berry has seen the creation of the College Choice 529 investment plans. The plans, which go into effect in January, allow students and their families to set aside money in a tax-exempt account for a variety of college expenses.\n"You can put that money in and use it when you need it rather that be on books or room and board and the earnings you have on the college saving plan are now tax free," Berry said.\nThe treasurer said he has also made a point of helping college students avoid credit card debt.\n"The biggest problem area is the Midwest," he said. "The average credit card debt for college students is $3,500. The average college student will arrive on campus with one credit card and leave freshman year with four and graduate with nine."\nBerry says part of the reason Hoosiers have fallen into the traps of credit card debt is because the state, which posted its first balanced budget in eight years this past year, has set a bad example in the past. Berry hopes to avoid this trend in the future.\n"As auditor my primary goal is going to be to report to taxpayers how we're spending our money so we can better manage state government. If we are better able to manage state government, then we can free up dollars for other priorities that the legislature and administration might have, whether that be higher education, full-day kindergarten or other programs."

JUDY ANDERSON - DEMOCRAT\nDemocrat Judy Anderson doesn't quite have the name recognition as Berry, but she has a lengthy record of public service at the local level.\nAnderson served on a township advisory board for a dozen years before moving to the Vigo County Commissioner position for two terms.\nCuriosity in the inner workings of the state finances has motivated Anderson to run for the auditor position, she said.\n"I've always been curious as to why things are done certain ways," she said. "When it came on the radar screen and I was asked to run, I was glad because it's something I've always wanted to do. I want to know where the money goes."\nRather than go into the auditor position with a fixed agenda, Anderson hopes to work with her new staff to improve the office.\n"No one knows a job until they get in there all the way," she said. "If you don't go into a job to learn from the people you serve, you're not doing it justice."\nShe said she also believes her past experience at the county level would give her a better view of how money trickles down through the state.\n"Being from county government, I see the different needs," Anderson said. "I can maintain those needs at the state level but also be aware of local needs"