TV's Back -- can you feel it?

LAST WORD

It's here, it's finally here: TV premiere week! Sure this summer had "Entourage" and Tim Gunn's stroke victim--like squeals of "make it work" to hold us over, but there's no better feeling than rejoining old friends and making new ones. My poor TiVo, I'm not sure if she'll be able to handle the overload of recording her master has thrust upon her. But how else to decide which new shows to get addicted to and which to cancel? Fortunately for you, I'm here to clue you in.

"The Class"\nMondays, CBS, 8 p.m. This is supposed to be about a reunion of third grade classmates, but it feels more like a reunion of actors from last year's cancelled shows. To celebrate the anniversary of the day he met his girlfriend, Ethan assembles his third grade class for a reunion party. Cute premise, but there's no way these people haven't seen each other since third grade. There's something called high school, and middle school, and fourth and fifth grade. The show is pretty lame, but it has its moments. Give it a few weeks; it might turn into something good.

"Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" \nMondays, NBC, 10 p.m. All that hype was true -- the show is that good. The new Aaron Sorkin dramedy follows an "SNL"-like show after its executive producer has a "Network"-level breakdown on air. Just like many new shows, "Studio" has an all-star cast (Amanda Peet, Matthew Perry, Steven Weber and D.L. Hughley). Sure, stars on TV is nothing new, but with this overload, who's left to act in movies? Like any Sorkin vehicle, the real star is the dialogue. It's smart, fast and no actual human would ever be able to carry a conversation like that. Matthew Perry is funny, and hopefully after the fiasco of "Joey" and the tragically underappreciated "The Comeback," this will silence the "Friends" curse. The first episode featured a controversy over a sketch deemed too racy to air, called "Crazy Christians." I've finally accepted that the "Entourage" movie, "Queens Boulevard" will never actually be made, so this skit better get shown. That way, my sick need to watch fake TV on real TV gets satisfied.

"Smith" \nTuesdays, CBS, 10 p.m. Yet another show featuring film actors who can't get work anymore. Ray Liotta heads a group of criminals (Amy Smart, Simon Baker) while his marriage to Virginia Madsen falls apart. Lots of slick cinematography, explosions and camerawork make this visuallyppealing, but it's almost as boring as its title. It's also the 874th show to play Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek" during the climax.

"'Til Death" \nThursdays Fox, 8 p.m. Just another marriage sucks comedy from Fox. Nice to know that after all those "Raymond" salary hissy fits, Brad Garrett is realizing it's not the actor that makes a show, it's the writers.

"The Office" \nThursdays, NBC, 8:30 p.m. Finally the Emmys got something right and named this the Best Comedy. Sadly, Jim and Pam didn't get together after their late night kiss, but Pam did break off the unhealthy relationship with her fiancé. The episode sped over that plot twist, but in the long run, that's a good thing. "The Office" isn't one to dabble in serious relationship issues; better to focus on Michael's politically incorrectness.

"Grey's Anatomy" \nThursdays, ABC, 9 p.m. At the end of last season when Izzy hijacked Denny's operating room and stole a heart from another deserving patient, I decided that I was done with the show. But three months apart did us well, and I was ready to return to Seattle Grace. And as usual I was disappointed. Come on -- a plague outbreak? If the medical scenario is going to be that outlandish, at least run with it. Where were the gross boils, limbs falling off, Meredith catching the disease and dying? And the story about trying to figure out which teen was the baby's mother? With all the medical jargon the writers have to deal with, did they really forget it takes nine months to have a baby, and that girls get fat when they're pregnant, which is something their parents would notice? But, like always, at the end of the episode, Meredith gives her voice-over with a soothing song in the background, and I couldn't help but give in. "All we need is more time," Meredith advises. She's right. I'll give the show more time. "Grey's" itself is my McDreamy; that unhealthy relationship that no matter how many times it hurts me, I just keep going back for more.

"Six Degrees" \nThursdays, ABC, 10 p.m. Hope Davis, what are you doing slumming on TV? Sure, you always get stuck playing the best friend, sister, or wife, and none of your movies has ever made more than $5 million, but you're indie royalty! And that whole six degrees linking people thing doesn't really count when you live in the same neighborhood.

"Shark" \nThursdays, CBS, 10 p.m. James Woods is perfect to play a scenery chewing lawyer, but how is it these people never have to do any research? For once it'd be nice to see someone just sit at a desk and read.

"Men in Trees"\n Fridays ABC 9 p.m. Anne Heche takes over the "Sex and the City" scenario as a relationship writer living in ... Alaska? Occasionally, the show stoops lower than it needs to by having Heche fight a raccoon, but it wouldn't fit the guidelines of romantic comedies if its heroine wasn't caught falling on her face and being oh--so cute. Heche makes the character enjoyable, but due to a Friday night time slot, don't expect this one to be around for too long. \nThis week brings the supposed renaissance on Wisteria Lane, the buzz about "Ugly Betty" and the unveiling of the CW. Enjoy your TV!