The S.S. IU needs YOU

All aboard. The S.S. IU sets sail Saturday for Big Ten waters chockfull of sea creatures, submarines and the occasional iceberg.\nPassengers beware. This voyage won't be easy. Last season, the Hoosiers started at 3-0 before sinking seven of their next eight games, all against Big Ten opponents. So here the Hoosiers are docked in 2006, ready to set sail at 2-2 having dropped their previous two games -- games that they could and should have willed themselves into winning. \nTruth is things did not go as planned once IU coach Terry Hoeppner relinquished his post. The Hoosiers expected to take at least one of their final two nonconference games but lost both by seven points. Rest assured, football fans -- the Captain is back. Captain Hep and his plethora of passionate players are on the poop deck and prepared for battle. However, Hep needs help. He needs more crew. He needs a Crimson Crew. So, I guess the question is: where will YOU be? \nYOU, the fan, have one choice to make: get on the boat or get the hell off it. The town, the alumni and your local football columnist are all on board, but we'll make up less than half of the S.S. IU. We need YOU, the student body. More importantly, we need a win.\nThus, these are the three points of power for the Hoosiers this weekend. \nFirst, the IU defense needs to put pressure on Badger quarterback John Stocco: all day, every play. Who does this guy think he is -- John Stamos? Sorry, Uncle Jesse, but any pressure the Hoosiers can force will make you buckle like a belt. Sure, Stocco has averaged 168 yards per game and sports a 55.2 completion percentage, but his job is Taylor-made with a strong rushing attack. This brings me to my next point. \nSecond, the IU defense will need to repeat the job against Wisconsin freshman P.J. Hill that they performed against UConn's Terry Caulley. So far this season Hill is 10th in the nation, averaging 117.2 yards per game and five touchdowns. IU has to make Hill a nonfactor Saturday, or he'll be the only factor directly responsible for another loss.\nFinally, on the other side of the ball, quarterbacks Blaklen Lewers (combination of junior Blake Powers and freshman Kellen Lewis) will have to get wide receiver James Hardy the ball early and often. Hardy is back after two weeks of personal problems, and he has a lot to prove against Big Ten defenses that have him targeted for takedown. Wisconsin sophomore Allen Langford, who secured two interceptions last week against Michigan, has Hardy on aim this week. \nLet's be honest about most of the student body. They don't care who IU is playing, whether the Hoosiers have a good chance or not to win, or even if Coach Hep asks for their help to Defend the Rock.\nThe student bodies' thermometer Saturday morning measures the weather outside. If there's daylight -- they're drinking. If there are clouds -- they're clinging to their couches. Hep needs a Crimson Crew tough enough to remain aboard despite gray skies, squalls and good teams that score. \nLast season, Hep wanted YOU, and he still does: just look above. The Captain has returned, the ship is ready to sail and YOU have got a choice to make. \nAll aboard, Hoosier Nation. Get on the ship and embrace this football team.\nOr get the hell off it.