Randy Walker's legacy remembered before NW opener

Former Wildcat coach provides motivation for team

OXFORD, Ohio -- While speakers on a makeshift stage behind the end zone told stories about Randy Walker's playing and coaching career, a kicker's warm-up try left the field and landed nearby, punctuating the speechmaking with a loud thump.\nThe perfect touch.\nThe former Miami of Ohio and Northwestern coach who died two months ago was remembered Thursday night before his two schools opened the season with a game he had set up. Speakers recalled how much he loved people and football.\nA few hundred fans, some dressed in white shirts with "WALK" on the front, gathered on a plaza behind an end zone to hear stories about the passionate coach who rebuilt both programs. A plaque with his likeness was also unveiled.\nWhile a variety of friends and coaches told vignettes about his loyalty and dedication, players from both schools limbered up on the field a few feet away, on the other side of a brick-and-iron fence.\n"Randy Walker is looking down with pride," said author Bob Kurz, a close friend. "This is what we've been waiting for. Let's get after it."\nThe schools worked together on a tribute to Walker, 52, who played and later coached at Miami before moving on to Northwestern. He died of an apparent heart attack in June.\nThe game in Oxford was supposed to be a feel-good homecoming for Walker, who remained close to his alma mater. Instead, it turned into a tearful tribute.\nA temporary stage was set up on the Cradle of Coaches Plaza behind the end zone, where Walker's plaque will be displayed. Fans entered the stadium through a stone and brick arch inscribed with the school's reputation for developing coaches who go on to great things.\nNow, Walker will be remembered as one of them.\n"Godspeed, Randy. Godspeed," Kurz said. "Your spot on God's sideline has been preserved."\nThere was a moment of silence before the kickoff. Walker's wife, Tammy, and other relatives were on the field for the coin flip. Players from both schools wore decals with Walker's jersey number and nickname on the front of their helmets, just above their facemasks. Northwestern players also had patches saying "WALK" sewed onto the front of their uniforms.\nWalker was the only coach to lead Northwestern to three bowl games, the most recent a 50-38 loss to UCLA in the Sun Bowl. The Wildcats shared the Big Ten title in 2000 and went to the Alamo Bowl. They also played in the Motor City Bowl in 2003.\nAt Miami, Walker took over a team coming off a two-win season and went 59-35-5 during his nine-year run before heading to Northwestern. He was a tailback from 1973-75, known for his tough-to-tackle style.\n"Class, class person," said Bill Mallory, a former IU football coach who was Walker's coach at Miami. "Didn't come any better."\nDick Crum, who hired him as an assistant at Miami, remembered the way he would insist on getting things done correctly.\n"The last Walkerism is, 'What's the deal?'" Crum said. "When something wasn't right, he'd say that when he'd walk into the huddle or the meeting room."\nWith a voice choked by emotion, Crum added, "I think every one of us can say we're better off for knowing him"