(Next) generational angst

It's no secret that I'm a huge gamer.\nAnd it's also no secret that I prefer what Nintendo and Microsoft have done with the original Xbox and Gamecube over what Sony has done.\nThe Xbox has some great exclusive action in the "Halo" and "Project Gotham Racing" series. Nintendo has the best, most creative programmers on the planet and a truly legendary library of games based on Mario and "The Legend of Zelda."\nThe Playstation 2 has a controller that I can never figure out because buttons are supposed to be labeled with letters, not symbols. With all the pink triangles and green squares, I feel like I'm digging through a box of Lucky Charms searching for a toy instead of playing a game.\nI will say this, though: "Metal Gear Solid 2" and "Final Fantasy X" are some fine movies. Notice I said movies, not games. The gameplay in recent iterations of the MGS and FF series is about as deep as navigating through DVD menus.\nWhile the PS2 is the only system I really dislike in the current generation of console gaming, it looks as if I might actually hate all of the next-gen systems equally.\nI know, I know. The dawn of a new generation is always supposed to wow us gamers with amazing new graphics and concepts that could have never been done on past consoles, but a recent round of announcements has made me sour on all three consoles for various reasons.\nAs revealed at the big annual electronics show E3 earlier this year, if you want a PS3 this holiday, it's going to set you back at least $500. That's just for the basic 20-gig hard drive model. If you want to go all out with the 60-gig HDMI enabled behemoth, it will set you back an extra $100.\nI have said many times that the blu-ray disc drive Sony is shoving into these things and forcing on the public is unnecessary, at this point (it's also one of the reasons it costs so damn much). But earlier this month, Sony announced that, because of all the fancy unnecessary technology in their big silver box, it's only shipping 400,000 units to the United States at the Nov. 17 launch.\nIf previous console launch shortages are any indication, don't be surprised if these suckers are going for $2,000 on ebay this Christmas. But look on the upside: If you're smart and pre-order a few now, you'll be able to pay off all your student loans by the end of the year!\nOn the Nintendo Wii front, I'm well past the funny name and the dozens of urine jokes. In fact, I kinda like the name. And pee jokes will never be as funny as poop jokes. Possibly because of the PS3's high price point, though, Nintendo announced last week their console with the motion-sensitive controller will launch Nov. 19 for $250.\nIt's true that's the cheapest of any next-gen console, but considering that by Nintendo's own admission the Wii is only a little more powerful than a current-gen Xbox, (which you can find new for about $150), $100 for a cool new controller seems a little steep.\nAnd if Nintendo really isn't trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft as it's said before, launching two days after the PS3 is a funny way of showing it.\nFinally, there's the Xbox 360 to consider. I bought an Xbox 360 this past summer, and with its kick ass online service, it may be my favorite system ever. But I hear rumors on the "Internets" that Microsoft is planning on shipping an updated version of the console with an HD-DVD drive built in.\nNow, I'm not exactly a technophobe. I know high definition is the future, and we'll be viewing everything in HD in a few years. It looks amazing, but it's also really, really expensive right now. And I'll be damned if I'm going to upgrade my 360 or buy the already announced external drive to play "Halo 4" on HD-DVD when I can't even afford an HDTV to really take advantage of it.\nGaming is one of my pastimes, but if this keeps up, even the cheapest new technology is enough to bust the bank.\nI'm about ready to just say screw the next generation altogether. I'm gonna go track down an NES and hook that up to my 15-inch standard definition TV and just kick it old school.\nAnyone with me?