My name is goofball comedy

Ever since the last hilarious scene in the movie "Mallrats" where Jason Lee takes over "The Tonight Show," I've thought, "Man, that guy really should have his own show." \nNow he does. I typically don't enjoy hick-based jokes, and "My Name is Earl" isn't the format I would've expected Lee to be in -- but it works. Lee still has that impeccable timing and as a big fan of karma, it's nice to see it appreciated and passed on here. \nThe show opens with Earl talking about how whenever something good happens to him, something bad is sure to follow. He attributes it to karma, and after getting hit by a car with a winning lottery ticket in hand, he decides to turn his life around. He makes a list of all his wrong doings and tries to correct them. \nIt's a dense, embarrassing list of wrong doings. Earl has stolen a car from a one-legged woman and cut off a piece of his dad's hair and glued it above his lip to give him a Hitler mustache before a dinner party. A lot of the humor comes from showing the ridiculous crimes and grievances Earl has doled out on the community over the years. \nA strong supporting cast rounds out the show nicely. Jaime Pressly ("Not Another Teen Movie") plays Earl's ex-wife who he tries to right many of his wrongs for. Earl's partner-in-crime and roommate is the always entertaining Ethan Suplee who plays his brother. You know him as the fat guy from "Boy Meets World" and Lee's co-star in "Mallrats" -- the one who can't find the sailboat. They live together and sleep in the same bed. \nEven while trying to make reparations, Earl makes mistakes. He sleeps with his ex-wife who is now married to his good friend. Earl tells his friend, an African American, it's not that big a deal because the friend slept with Pressly when Earl was married to her (resulting in Pressly having one black and one white baby.)\nPressly excuses the behavior saying, "You think Bruce and Demi don't sleep together and don't tell Ashton? Pff Please." \nThere's some good music in the series. Standouts for me were Bob Marley, Nick Drake and Bachman Turner Overdrive, but there are some lame songs that fill up the soundtrack as well. \nSpecial features are solid in breadth -- a blooper reel, deleted scenes, behind the scenes and a few audio commentaries. The behind the scenes feature is interesting and tells how the show is tightly based on the life of its creator. The blooper real is fairly funny, but neither feature is worth watching more than once. \nAll in all, the show has its moments and is like a comic warming up the crowd for the far superior comedy following it. I'll watch it, but I'll usually just be waiting for it to end so I can hang out with Dwight, Pam, and Jim in "The Office"