More 'Office,' less productivity

In the wake of the demise of "Arrested Development," easily the best comedy on TV in recent times, one might say that it was "The Office" that grabbed the torch and just kept running toward the finish line, while collecting Golden Globe and Emmy accolades along the way. \nDespite the somewhat common criticism that the American version doesn't compete with the British series, I would beg to differ. While it might've suffered a rocky start with only six episodes in Season 1, the 24 episode cannon of Season 2 is a massive accomplishment of sarcasm, political incorrectness, delirious absurdity, covered in the driest of deadpan coatings all throughout the daily blunders at Dunder-Mifflin. I'm sure if Ricky Gervais wasn't pleased he would've shut it all down long ago. \nJust like "Seinfeld" is always remembered for its key episodes of hilarity, "The Office" has them in full force. "Office Olympics" is possibly the greatest example of what to do with your workday boredom woes. In "The Fight" you get to see the ever-annoying Dwight Schrute (Rainn Wilson) fight in a karate class for little kids and get his ass kicked by Steve Carell -- made perfect when he gets on top of Wilson and tries hocking a loogie down his mouth like any elementary school bully. "Christmas Party" and the "Booze Cruise" both drive me to tears from laughing so hard. \nWhile many TV series on DVD tend to be lacking in extras, unlike Season 1, Season 2 is rife with supplements. Of the 24 episodes, 10 contain commentary tracks and all of them contain deleted scenes that total to almost two hours of unseen footage. A lot of the cut scenes are hysterical, and considering how many there are, you're practically getting an additional six episodes worth of comic delight. Speaking of episodes, also contained are the 10 "Accountants" Web-isodes from the NBC Web site covering that area of the office that never gets enough screen-time. \nTo turn things up another notch, included is one damn funny blooper reel, promo commercials for the "Office Olympics," the short film Carell makes during the "Valentine's Day" episode and fake PSAs for the commonly seen NBC "The More You Know" segments. \nWill Jim finally get the relationship he's always wanted with Pam? Will Dwight finally get some respect, or Michael ever get a clue? Season 3 begins tonight with the "Gay Witch Hunt" and I can only imagine how ridiculous it'll be. So while many of us are still mourning the loss of "Arrested Development," I say seek comfort in "The Office," knowing it won't be leaving the air any time soon.