Iranian and Turkish film series offer hits from Muslim world

This week the Department of Central Eurasian Studies kicks off an international film series.\nThe Persian Film Series begins Thursday night with "Wind Carpet" (2003), the story of a Japanese businessman's journey to Iran to obtain a handmade carpet, custom-designed by his recently deceased wife. A joint production of Iranian and Japanese filmmakers, the tale explores the perils, confusion and rewards of cross-cultural cooperation.\nThe next Persian film showing is scheduled for Oct. 19. "Leila" (1996) is the story of a young Iranian woman who discovers she is infertile and must cope with her mother-in-law's pressure on her husband to take a second wife. On Nov. 16, "Under the Moonlight" (2001) explores the role of the Islamic clergy in Iran through the story of a young seminary student from a rural village who loses his clerical robes on the Tehran subway. All Persian films will be shown at 7 p.m. in Swain Hall East Room 140.\nThe movies featured this semester will be a departure from the high-brow Iranian films that have swept the international festival circuit since the 1990s, but have a limited audience in Iran, said Paul Losensky, associate professor of Central Eurasian studies and comparative literature and organizer of the Persian Film Series. Rather, these showings feature examples of more commercial films, often addressing controversial social issues, which have been popular with Iranian audiences -- although some, like "Leila," have also had international success. \nIn addition, the Turkish Film Series begins Friday with the comedy "Dongel Karhanesi" (2005). The title is a pun on the word karhane, meaning "business place" or "factory," and kerhane, meaning "brothel." Confusion ensues when a brothel is taken over by a bank, which is in turn taken over by the state. When government officials realize they are now running a brothel, an honest manager must be found before the Dongel Kerhana can become a karhane.\nOther contemporary Turkish films will be shown Oct. 20, Nov. 17 and Dec. 22. Titles will be announced on the IU events calendar. All films will be shown at 8 p.m. in Wylie Hall 005.\nAll films in both series are subtitled in English. The Persian Film Series is shown in conjunction with the IU Persian language program. The Turkish Film Series is organized in part by the Turkish Student Association. For more information, contact Karen Niggle in the Department of Central Eurasian Studies at kniggle@indiana.edu.