Eat late, but eat smart

It's 10 o'clock at night. You're craving a big bowl of ice cream or some crunchy potato chips, and you're finding it hard to resist the tantalizing smell of piping-hot pizza coming from down the hall. Is giving in to the urge to eat past the mythical 8 o'clock hour a reason to panic? Will it automatically create more fat cells? \nNot necessarily. A calorie is a calorie, no matter when you eat it. As long as you are eating and drinking roughly the same amount of calories you expend in a day, you will not gain weight. However, one issue with eating before bedtime is that people are more likely to choose high fat, high sugar foods in the evening hours. So placing restrictions on when a person eats may help them decrease their caloric intake. \nAnother issue is that people eat even though they are not hungry at night. \nBefore making an eating decision, ask, "Am I really hungry?" \nPeople often confuse appetite with hunger. Appetite is a psychological desire to eat because the food smells good, looks good or is free (and therefore impossible to pass up) or because there is an emotional reason to eat. For example, your appetite might tell you to eat because you are upset, angry, bored or lonely. Hunger, on the other hand, is a physiological desire -- your\nbody's way of telling you it needs more fuel to keep you going. Hunger signals are different for each of us but may include an empty feeling in your stomach, rumbling or growling in the stomach, shakiness, slight headache, irritability, lack of concentration, dizziness and nausea. If you're hungry, realize your body is attempting to communicate with you. Embrace the hunger and feel good about giving your body what it needs! This is especially important if you have several more hours of work or studying before you go to sleep. \nIt's also important to consider what food or beverage is right for you and your health. Choosing low-calorie, nutrient-dense options such as light microwave popcorn, a non-fat mocha or cappuccino, a cup of melon, a banana, no-sugar added applesauce, low-fat yogurt, a small bowl of whole grain cereal or piece (one ounce) of low-fat cheese can provide important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants without added unhealthy fats or sugars. It's also a good idea to drink water, herbal teas or low-calorie fruit drinks to fill the stomach and keep you hydrated. \nIf you have a question about food, nutrition, eating healthy or weight, please contact Nutrition Services, Health and Wellness Education at the IU Health Center for an individual nutrition appointment with a registered dietitian. Call 855-7338. These appointments are free to students who have paid the health fee.