Club team offers both competition and fun

Hoosiers defeat two teams in opening weekend at home

When the term "hockey" comes to mind, it usually conjures up images of fast-paced play on the ice. But for the IU field hockey club, the action is all on the grass. \nClub president Audrey Matthias said the co-ed club offers a fun, relaxed environment for those interested in playing field hockey. \n"The field hockey club gives its members a continued opportunity to play field hockey after high school," Matthias said. "Playing a club sport can be a great place for meeting new people and gives you something to look forward to during the week."\nThirty active members comprise the club, six of them are men. \nThe field hockey team holds practices from 6 to 8 p.m. Sunday in HPER 163 and 8:30 to 10 p.m. Wednesday at the Bloomington Sportsplex. \nThe team plays in the Tri-State League which includes college field hockey clubs from Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. Currently, no Indiana high schools offer field hockey, a sport that is much more prevalent on the East Coast.\nOne aspect of the club is its promotion of teamwork and camaraderie among its members.\n"Good teamwork is a very important part of our experience because it brings everyone closer," said Cropper, a sophomore on the team. "Things have been really great." \nThe club began the season 2-0, with wins against Washington University in St. Louis 5-1 and the University of Miami of Ohio 8-1 over the weekend at home. \nBut Matthias is quick to point out that the club is not all about winning. \n"The objective is to have fun and play as much as possible without being too competitive," she said. \nEven though IU has both a club team and a varsity women's field hockey team, there is still a lack of knowledge about the sport, said Student Athletic board President Ryan Nietert.\n"I feel that field hockey is one of Indiana University's most underrated sports on campus," said Nietert. Last season, the women's field hockey team made it to the Elite Eight in last season's NCAA Tournament and is ranked No. 12 in the nation this season.\nStudents that would like to join the club field hockey team can e-mail fhockey@indiana.edu or visit www.iub.edu/~fhockey.