Another bad teen movie

Hilary Duff, what the hell? Why do you keep agreeing to do these crappy movies? You left Disney and deprived us from witnessing Lizzie McGuire's high school years so you wouldn't be branded as a teen star. But since then you've done nothing but these bad kid movies! But the blame for "Material Girls" can't all be put on Hilary, and while it sucks, it really is nothing more than a watchable bad movie.\nHilary and sister Haylie play Tanzie and Ava Marchetta, two cosmetic heiress socialites forced to fend for themselves when their deceased father's company falls victim to scandal and they end up bankrupt. Some of the products cause skin damage and their father knew all along, but tried to cover it up. Turns out daddy's innocent and the girls set out to prove it so they can clear the family name before they are forced to sell the company to rival Fabiella (Anjelica Huston.) Poor Anjelica. While Meryl got to so wonderfully sick her fangs into "The Devil Wears Prada" earlier this summer, she got stuck with this.\nBecause it's a sister movie there's the obligatory drama. However the arguments never really feel like they were actually written into the script. Instead it's as if there was a bullet point saying, "ok throw in a little drama here but have them make up by the next page." Because the dialogue isn't strong there's nothing for the Duffs to work with, so their acting tends to often fall flat. \nThis movie is supposed to be fluff. So it gets extremely awkward when immigration issues get brought up. After the sisters' mansion burns down they move in with their Colombian housekeeper, Inez, who just happens to have two extra beds she's saving for her daughters for when they come to America. "Have you ever heard of post-9/11 immigration delays," Inez asks Ava, who replies with a blank, confused stare that much of the audience will be sharing. In the end when all is well there's a scene with Inez kissing her daughters goodnight in their new beds. How did they finally get there, no explanation is given, just that Ava one promised to bring them over. \nFor some reason director Martha Coolidge (and pretty much every director of a movie like this that's been released in the last five years) feels the need to continuously use wipes to edit and split screens. It's annoying and distracting. But then again that's what the movie itself is, a distraction from everyday life that ends up being annoying.