Woman killed in boat accident

Another seriously injured in Lake Monroe collision

One person was killed and another seriously injured after a boating accident Saturday afternoon on Lake Monroe.\nBarbara Chamberlain, 43, of Greenwood, Ind., was riding in a deck style boat when it was struck by a 25-foot cigarette style vessel shortly before 1 p.m. near the dam area in the southwest corner of the lake, according to an Indiana Conservation Officers press release.\nChamberlain and another passenger in the boat, Dennis Devore, 59, also of Greenwood, Ind., were thrown into the water and brought to the South Salt Creek Boat Ramp by passers-by, according to a witness report.\nChamberlain was pronounced dead at the scene.\nDevore was transported to Bloomington Hospital to undergo surgery Saturday afternoon, said Conservation Officer Jeff Barker.\nDevore had not been discharged as of Sunday, a representative from the hospital said.\nThe boat carrying Chamberlain and Devore sank in 20 to 40 feet of water due to damage it sustained in the accident.\nScuba divers will attempt to recover the wreckage of the boat Monday.\nNone of the four passengers of the cigarette style boat were injured, according to the press release.\nThe boats were about to hit head on near the dam area when each apparently veered in the same direction to avoid each other, Barker said.\nAlcohol did not appear to be a factor.