Cheung gets 'Clean' with Assayas

As I watched Olivier Assayas' "Clean," I felt there was much research that needed to be done. After their collaboration on the intricate "Irma Vep," Asian sensation Maggie Cheung and director Assayas were happily married before ending it all nearly three years later. He had written her part in "Clean" just for her and it was on set that they signed their divorce papers from one another. Months later Cheung took home the Best Actress Award at the Cannes Film Festival. Now doesn't all of that sound a bit ironic?\nUnlike the wealthy amount of Lifetime movies filled with melodramatic acting and moody music, "Clean" examines the life of a woman whose rock star husband dies of a heroin overdose, is sent to jail for possession, only to be released six months later with nothing. No money, no friends to turn to, and worst of all lost custody of her son Jay (played by first-timer James Dennis with natural authenticity). \nIt does not delve into the darkest realms of drug addiction like "Requiem for a Dream," but rather takes an observational stance on a woman who really just wants her life back to normal. The only struggles for her are ridding her body of a dependency disease and regaining the trust of many -- the most important being her dead husband's father Albrecht who is played by former addict Nick Nolte. \nThis is Nolte's movie as much as it is Cheung's. Together their relationship is hesitant yet strong; Nolte clearly wanting Cheung to get back on the right track so she can see her son once again and be the parent that her rock star life never allowed her to become. \nUnfortunately such a movie does not lend itself to much supplemental material. Aside from the theatrical trailer and previews, there are roughly 40 minutes of interviews conducted with Assayas, Cheung, Nolte and the two musical acts featured in the movie: trip-hopper Tricky and rockers Metric. While the first three give a closer look at how all three individuals work and prepare for their roles, the musician interviews are rather worthless -- both acts given only brief screen time yet acting like they had great impact on the story. If it is anyone whose musical talents should be recognized, it is Cheung, who actually sang in her role on top of speaking in English, French and Cantonese.\nWhile Cheung and Assayas may no longer be married, hopefully their days of collaborating are far from over. They've made two great films together and it would be a shame to see them part ways.