Students reflect at Baccalaureate

The interfaith Baccalaureate ceremony was tinged with sadness and reflection as graduates and the keynote speaker participated in one of their last events at IU.\n"It's a very nice ceremony for graduates and parents," said Dean of Students Richard McKaig. "It's also a great way to represent the diverse religious beliefs of our University."\nThe stage was adorned with five flags with a symbol representing each major religion -- Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Islam. Prayers and songs were accompanied by candles, gongs and music to add to the ceremony.\nFrom a Buddhist gong to a Jewish Shofar and a performance by the African American Choral ensemble, attendees had a lot to see in the 45-minute event.\n"People might see the gong and bells and be kind of confused," said Alumni Association President Ken Beckley. "But hopefully when the ceremony's over they'll come away thinking, 'hey that was pretty cool.'" \nThe Baccalaureate was a commencement for Beckley as well. He plans to retire in January and expressed emotion at his last ceremony.\n"Everything I do in the coming months will be a last," Beckley said. "It's all done with a touch of sadness."\nBeckley's speech touched on all five religions and offered a message of looking to live a full life of goodness. He emphasized how students can make the most of their years by holding on to their morals and living life passionately.\n"This is a wonderful point in your life," Beckley said. "I urge you to treat all persons with respect regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation."\nThroughout the ceremony Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist and Hindu students offered prayers, songs and customs from each of their religions for graduates. Senior Mohammed Alghbban represented Muslim students at IU and covered his ears with his hands and passionately sang the "Calling of the Adhan," a call to pray. The prayer begins and ends with the phrase, "God is great. There is no god except the one god." \nOne of the main purposes of the service is to help promote cultural understanding between alternative religions. \n"It's good to have understanding from different faiths," Alghbban said.\nStudents read prayers in their language of origin and English to give the full effect. The prayers were all different, but the message was often analogous; thanking God for all he has provided and asking for healthy, blessed lives to come.\n"People often find that the translations to prayers are pretty similar," Beckley said. "It helps bridge the gap between religions."\nAt the end of the ceremony students and their families were asked to embrace and thank each other for their support and say a prayer for the future.\n"Getting a chance to thank my parents and family was really nice," said graduate Brian McCue. "I liked having a chance to thank them for all they've done for me"