Search for next IU president begins

More than $150,000 budgeted for the search process

INDIANAPOLIS -- The search for the next president of IU is now underway, with the announcement of the 12-member search and faculty committees Tuesday afternoon at a special board of trustees meeting at IU-Purdue University-Indianapolis. Trustee Sue Talbot was announced chair of the search committee. Two other trustees and representatives from various IU campuses make up the remainder of the committee. \nIU President Adam Herbert said the search would be difficult, but said the two years given to perform it should be effective and that he would do whatever is necessary to smooth the transition. \n"Presidential searches are very difficult," Herbert said. "What this is essentially doing is giving the board two years of total flexibility to choose the next president for Indiana University and I just think that's the optimal situation for the institution." \nTalbot said Herbert will lead the University and that he would be an asset in the transitional period. \n"As a member of the search committee it is to our big advantage to have Adam here as a council for us," Talbot said. "He has a lot of experience in this category. He will continue to lead the University and help us tread the course for the future, which is a part of his responsibility as president. I think it's a win-win situation for all of us."\nHerbert stressed that he was "going full speed ahead" and has no intention of being a lame duck president. He said he is focused on the significant things that need to be accomplished and the importance of preparing the institution for transition. \n"The board has made it clear they do not want me to look, or act, like a lame duck," Herbert said. \nTrustee President Stephen Ferguson said between $150,000 and $200,000 has been budgeted for the presidential search, including around $100,000 for the search firm. He acknowledged that in the past when they brought Herbert in as president, Herbert had to come in knowing IU had debts in athletics, tensions within its own foundation and other internal struggles that forced a lot upon him. This time, he said, they would like to make it easier for the incoming president. \nWhen questioned what he would do if a new president were selected before his contract runs out, Herbert said he would do whatever was best for the University and that he has not given it much thought on a personal basis.\n"I'll continue to serve until a new president is selected," Herbert said. \nTalbot said there is a "deep, rich pool of candidates" and said that in the next 10 days the committee will choose a search firm that will help it establish a more detailed timetable. \n"I don't look at him at all as finishing up his tenure badly," Talbot said. "We're going to take the adequate time and do the best job possible to find the best fit possible for this University"