School's in for summer

Registration for this year's 'learning vacation' at all-time high

As campus settles into the lull of second summer session and wide-eyed freshmen shuffle through for orientation, a different class of students will arrive this weekend for their chance to experience IU. They don't come to cram in I-Core or retake a class they dropped last semester, but for their own thirst for knowledge.\nFrom Sunday until June 23, IU Mini will mark its 35th anniversary of the annual event Frommer's Budget Travel Magazine called "one of America's nine best learning vacations." It's a week at IU where participants -- ranging from alumni to interested adults -- can take up to 15 lectures from a selection of over 100 diverse topics offered by IU professors.\nJeanne Madison, assistant director for lifelong learning and Mini University at the Bloomington division of continuing studies, said some attendees focus on one of the eight fields of study, while some make a "potpourri" of studies. \nSerious topics ranging from Wal-Mart's impact on the globe, deficits, midterm elections, preventing obesity and human cloning are balanced with lighter classes discussing Elvis, behind the scenes at IU opera, reading music, sex research in the 21st century and games, diversions and amusements. \n"I'm especially excited about this year," Madison said. "We're going to interject some special celebratory things for the 35th Anniversary. It's a celebration of learning and continuing IU's program of excellence."\nRegistration for this year is at an all-time high, with 458 participants signed up, leaving only a couple dozen available spots left. In addition to classes, the $205 entry fee includes a jazz concert, a picnic, films and access to IU's tennis courts and pools. \nIU professor Michael Hamburger, a veteran of IU Mini, broke down the crowd and class offerings.\n"Attendees are mostly over 60," Hamburger said. "A lot of them always wanted to be around a college campus and are excited about finally getting the opportunity. There are some light and fun classes, and some serious and political offerings." \nIU Mini isn't just for alumni, but many past IU grads come back to relive their glory days at IU. 60 percent of attendees are returning IU Mini participants and long distances aren't holding participants back. Madison said attendees are coming from 26 different states for the festivities. \nNumerous lectures looked interesting to Madison, who said she tries to see a different professor every year. She said that this year they have a full schedule of outstanding faculty and speeches lined up. Specifically she noted "A Look Back: The IU campus 35 Years Ago" taught by Dean of Students Dick McKaig and "Elvis' America: All Shook Up!" with music professor Glenn Gass instructing, stuck out in her mind. \n"I always love doing Mini IU," Gass said. "It's one of the best things IU does. People that come really want to be there. I can talk about Elvis and have people who actually remember him. The Beatles and Hendrix back in a big way, but Elvis seems like a lost era. Without Elvis, rock would have just been a fad."\nA concert with Jazz musician and IU professor David Baker titled "David Baker's Quintet Celebrates Mini" is highly anticipated by IU Mini staff. \n"The concert with David Baker will be a huge hit," Madison said. "He's a great, renowned musician, and I can't wait for the show."\nOne of the representatives in the science field is professor Michael Hamburger, who will explain how natural disasters happen and what we can do to protect ourselves in his speech, "Learning from Disaster: Tsunamis, Hurricanes, Earthquakes and Volcanic Eruptions!" \n"My first message is that disasters are not acts of god, but natural processes," Hamburger said. "We can't prevent most of these disasters from taking place, but we can minimize the loss of life and injury."\nMadison said she likes to sit in on classes when she has the chance and she looks forward to participating more fully when she retires. A number of professors and planners of the event stressed the passion for learning that past IU Mini attendees showed. \n"I like to joke that fourth and fifth graders are my best, most enthusiastic audiences," Hamburger said. "By high school and college their interest goes down, but as senior citizens at Mini, their excitement for learning peaks again"