Costello & Toussaint pay tribute to New Orleans

It's often said that music has the incredible power to unite and heal people. If this is true (which I do believe it is), then America and especially those affected by the devastation of Hurricane Katrina can use as much of it as they can get. With the release of The River In Reverse, New Orleans R&B great Allen Toussaint and British rocker Elvis Costello have brought together the best of two legendary, yet different careers to create an album rich in classic Louisiana flavor.\nThe idea for a collaboration between these two seasoned music veterans came after they performed together in a benefit concert for Katrina victims held at Madison Square Garden last September. Initially the album would be a journey through Toussaint's rich songbook, but after the two began playing together several new tracks were written, including the title track written solely by Costello.\nAlthough the album contains many of Toussaint's classic songs, overall it is quite an equal partnership and both artists bring many of their own players to the sessions. A melting pot of talent, the album features Costello's band, the Imposters, and The Crescent City Horns, frequent collaborators with Toussaint. \nThe authentic New Orleans feel is provided by the powerful presence of the R&B master Allen Toussaint. One of the most influential musical figures to come out of New Orleans, Toussaint has been writing, recording and producing since the 1950s; composing hits for numerous artists including Lee Dorsey, Irma Thomas and Labelle.\nCostello's true admiration for this living legend is apparent in his careful, yet soulful renditions of some of Toussaint's shining achievements. The distinctive vocal styling of Costello breathes new life into many of Toussaint's timeless recordings including the moving "Freedom For The Stallion" and "On The Way Down." Toussaint takes lead vocals on "Who's Gonna Help Bother Get Further," proving the talented ability of his often underrated voice. \nEven though seven of the tracks were written by Toussaint in the 60s and 70s, many of the songs take on a new meaning in the context of Hurricane Katrina. Songs like "Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further" with the lines "What happened to the Liberty Bell I heard so much about?/Did it really ding-dong?/It must have dinged wrong/It didn't ding long" are surprisingly as relevant today as when Toussaint first wrote them.\nThe accompanying DVD chronicles the making of this landmark album and includes studio footage and candid interviews with both Toussaint and Costello as well as producer Joe Henry. The gravity of the Katrina aftermath becomes real as Costello and New Orleans native Toussaint travel to the devastated city to finish the recording. In between live studio footage, Toussaint speaks openly of his love for the city and its significance in his life and in his music.\nOverall, The River In Reverse attempts, in a modest way, to symbolically reverse the emotional damage Katrina left behind by paying tribute to the rich musical history of the eclectic city of New Orleans. Both artists bring the trademarks of their rich careers to the table and in the end create an album that exudes a truly genuine New Orleans R&B feel while at the same time incorporating a fresh rock sound that gives the music an even broader appeal. If music truly heals, then Toussaint, with the assistance of Costello, has done his part in helping to rebuild the city he loves so dearly.