ONLINE ONLY: Today I consider myself…

For the past eight months my assignment has been to write columns about Indiana University's basketball team, and let me tell you, it wasn't the cake-walk you all assume it was. \nI was forced to sit courtside for every home game, eat free food in Assembly Hall's press room, deal with the terminally miss-informed Andy Katz and then spew my opinions onto the pages of America's best college newspaper. Seriously folks, I had it rough. \nWhen the fall semester began, the expectations for IU's season couldn't have gotten higher. I even had to teach my sports-phobic friend Opperman the basics of the game because of how excited everyone was. But those lofty hopes left campus by early February as the Hoosier Nation endured one of the darkest periods in its long history. Then, after a berth in the NCAA tournament and a miraculous first round win over San Diego State, the season ended with a hard-fought loss to Gonzaga. Despite falling in the tournament's second round, the program had life again. \nAnd now as we enter the Kelvin Sampson-era, I think the future of IU hoops couldn't possibly be brighter. It's just a shame I'll be graduating on Saturday because I'd sure love to be around to witness it firsthand. \nBut that's the nature of the world we live in, one season ends and another begins. One class graduates, another takes the helm. Whether in basketball, school or at the campus newspaper, things change, always have, always will. \nI hope all of you out there realize how lucky I am, because I certainly do. \nI'm not trying to get sappy on you here because that's not my style but I have to say that over the past eight months I've had the best job on the planet. I got to be associated with the greatest tradition in sports: Indiana basketball. I essentially got to vent how I felt to you a few times a week and I GOT PAID FOR IT. I know, I know, you guys should have been the ones getting paid for having to read this crap, blah, blah, I've heard it all before. I guess what I want to say is thank you. \nThank you to everyone out there who read anything I wrote all year. Whether you loved me or hated me (more than likely it was the latter), I always tried to give you my honest opinion. Thanks to all of you who e-mailed me, I read each and every one (I typically got 30-100 per week) and appreciate that you took the time to let me know how you felt. I'm sorry if we didn't agree but that's the great thing about sports, two people can hold the exact opposite point of view, yet still be rooting for the same team with the same level of passion. \nFinally I want to thank everyone at the Indiana Daily Student who worked so hard this year. From my editors Matt Mattucci, and Eamonn Brennan to the two basketball beat writers, Brian Janosch and Andy Romey, your hard work and dedication made this job the best experience of my life, thanks for putting up with me. \nSo, as I wrap up the final column of my college career I want you to know how much all of this has meant to me. I'll never forget this year or any of the people who have made it so special to me. Thank you everyone, it has been an honor and a privilege to be in this position.