Memorial Union IT Support Center set to close May 26

Services will be transferred to the main library

On May 26 the Information Technology Support Center in the Indiana Memorial Union -- located on the mezzanine level -- will be closed and all its services transferred to the Information Commons in the Herman B Wells Library. Classroom Services, currently down the hall in the IMU, will also be moving to the library. \nWith an ever-tightening budget, the cost of renting space in the IMU and managing multiple locations was "more of a cost resource than we could justify," said Sue Workman, director of User Support for IU. She added that consolidating IT support and training is the "best way to focus face to face resources right now." \n"(The transfer) is something we've looked at since the IC opened," said Dennis Gillespie, manager for the UITS Support Center. "We have limited resources just like everyone else ... We realized we could be a more effective and efficient organization if we could bring these resources together."\nDespite the cutbacks, UITS is hoping that conserving funds now will allow it to enhance the support services that are provided. \n"In the past, when there was an issue with your account, you couldn't fix it over the phone because, well, you could be anybody," Gillespie said. He added to take part in the online password reset service, students need to sign up at http://password.iu.edu. \nBefore the Information Commons opened in the fall of 2003, the Union was the only venue accommodating to a support center.\n"But with the growth of the information commons, the library has become more of a central academic location," Workman said. \nIt is also more convenient for students, Gillespie said, because not only is more parking available at the Wells Library, but the IT Support Center in the Information Commons is open a lot more. \n"Someone is there 24/7, everyday of the year to answer your questions," he said. "And if the support center isn't open, the (Student Technology Center) folks are there."\nSome students may not mind the move. \nJunior Katie Derloshon said that closing the IT Support Center in the IMU wouldn't affect her needs. \n"If I have a problem, I will just call or e-mail," she said. "I don't have time to walk in there."\nDerloshon said she prefers to handle her technical questions online when she can. Once, while searching for the support center, she went into the IMU's computer store instead.\nThis was no surprise to Computer Connection Employee Eric Lorenz. \n"A majority of students don't even know (the IT Support Center) is there," he said. "They come in looking and when they have technical questions we direct them down the hall ... I guess now we'll direct them to the library"