Technical glitches fail to stop production's spring concert

Rows of black tights shook with laughter under the glare of lights, and the chorus of Paula Abdul's "Cold Hearted" played again and again, but Gary Wohlafka, listed in InMotion Dance Company's "Fusion" program as the lighting designer and audio technician, just couldn't seem to get it right.\nSeveral times, co-director and junior Justine Menter's blonde hair would flip up while she yelled, "Music? Music now, please," up to the sound booth.\nDespite technical glitches, the 36 members of InMotion stayed calm during Saturday night's show, surprising the audience every time they hit the beats head-on together.\nThe first piece, called "Snake," featured choreography by Menter, junior Elizabeth Tejan and co-director and senior Adrienne West.\nThe dancers tied pieces of fabric around their arms to mimic snakes. When they all moved together, the snakes shone in the light.\n"Body Language," choreographed by junior Casey Smith, and junior Natalie Labejof's "Must Be Dreaming," lit up the stage at the beginning of the show.\n"Body Language" shifted formations and stayed classically jazzy while the dancers flowed across the stage, snapping their fingers.\nSet to music by Frou Frou, "Must Be Dreaming" captured the lighthearted spirit of sleeping through modern dance class. The dancers wore white boxers and button-down shirts while they drifted like flowing white clouds on-stage. The piece ended when the dancers snuggled up to sleep in pairs on the ground.\nSequel Hip Hop Dance Company and men's a capella group Straight No Chaser broke up the show with guest performances.\nHigh-energy, fast-moving dance sequences kept the audience's attention while Sequel, a co-ed dance group, performed.\nSequel's grittier street hip-hop seemed to clash a bit with InMotion's army fatigue tough-girl piece that followed, "Bad Man," choreographed by Menter.\nMenter and West served as production coordinators for "Fusion." West said this was the best InMotion show in her four years as a member.\n"I am very proud of all the dancers," she said.\nThe show was free because the company is funded by a University grant.\nInMotion plans to work with other dance companies again in "Set It Off," 9 p.m., April 11 in Willkie Auditorium.\nInMotion, Sequel, IU Essence, the IU Breakdance Club, Kicks Dance Studio and other organizations will perform, according to InMotion's Web site, www.in-motiondanceiu.com.