Police apologize for mistaking man's race

BPD: 25-year-old hate crime victim was not black

Police retracted a statement they made Tuesday that a 25-year-old Bloomington man and his wife, who were victims of a hate crime earlier that morning, were black.\nCpt. Joe Qualters apologized for what he called a police \nerror. \n"An incorrect assumption as to the victim's race was made based on the racial epithets directed at him," Qualters said. "The department apologizes to all involved and regrets the error made in this instance."\nSgt. David Drake added at Thursday's press time that police didn't include the victim's race in the actual incident report.\nQualters said there seemed to be confusion as to the location of the incident as well. The attack on the couple took place near Kilroy's Sports Bar, which is located in the 300 block of North Walnut Street.\nThe couple was walking to their vehicle after leaving the bar when several white men began shouting racial slurs at them. One of the men knocked out the husband with a skateboard, police reports said.\nThe victim said he was attacked "just because of his race," Drake said Thursday, explaining the police report's specific references to the racial slurs spoken led him to assume the victim was black.\nThe victim, who was taken to the hospital by his wife following the incident, told police he suffered from a concussion and that two bones had been dislocated in his arm. Officer Brando Lopossa, who was called to the hospital at 4:15 a.m., also reported there were several abrasions and lacerations on the victim's head. \nThe suspects had shaved heads, were in their early 20s and were wearing dark clothing at the time of the incident. The victims had no prior contact with the assailants before being attacked.\nQualters said a "more careful analysis of case reports" will be taken from now on before information is released to the press.\nBPD detectives continue to investigate the hate crime. They are currently reviewing local businesses' surveillance videos in an attempt to catch the crime on tape. The incident also was referred to the city's human rights council. Anyone with information on this or other crimes should contact BPD at 339-4477.