IU's Straight No Chaser celebrates 10 years of being All-a-chord

IU's premier men's a cappella singing group to perform Saturday

For the past 10 years, IU's only men's \na cappella singing group has been gracing venues across the nation with its harmonized sound.\nThe student-run group was founded in 1996 by Dan Ponce. Since then, Straight No Chaser has molded itself into IU's premier men's singing group, said junior Tyler Trepp, Straight No Chaser member and music director. The current group consists of nine members, who have formed a steady fan base by performing twice a week at various fraternities, sororities and other groups on campus, in addition to performing at other universities and off-campus events. Straight No Chaser will perform its spring concert celebrating its ten-year anniversary 8 p.m. Saturday at the IU Auditorium.\n"I have been in the group for four years now and have seen many different aspects of what the group has to offer," said senior and Business Manager for Straight No Chaser, Adam Stulberg, in an e-mail message. "Performing has become a part of my life and one that I wouldn't trade for the world."\nThe a cappella group has produced many notable alumni, including Steve Morgan, who performs "Mamma Mia!" on Broadway and Ponce, who is now a news anchor in Chicago, Stulberg said.\nThe group is known for its breadth of performance.\n"In the last four years, I have performed for everything from charity events at local schools to the Governor's inauguration. I have traveled from Texas to Florida to Las Vegas and finally New York City. I have sung for countless sorority shows and at a vast amount of philanthropic events around campus. The group was also fortunate enough to place fourth in the nation last year when we competed in the ICCA's (the NCAA tournament for a cappella)," said Stulberg.\nThe anniversary spring concert will include Straight No Chaser's current members and alumni, including the 10 original members who will be performing a feature presentation. In addition to celebrating Straight No Chaser's 10 years of existence, the group will also celebrate the release of its sixth CD "Another Round." \n"It is fresh off the presses and will hopefully be as big of a success as the last five have been," Stulberg said.\nFor more information on Straight No Chaser or its upcoming concert, visit www.sncproductions.com.