IU swimmers take 2nd in national competition

Hoosiers break 16 meet records at East Coast Club

The Hoosiers brought 16 swimmers to the University of Georgia on March 31 to swim in the 2006 East Coast Collegiate Club Championship and came home in second place for the team competition, only losing to the host team.\nDespite entering the competition as a relative unknown, the IU swim club team set 16 new meet records. IU swimmer Dave Doerr set meet records in the 100-yard freestyle, the 500-yard freestyle, and the 200-yard IM while Allison Lloyd set six meet records in the 50-yard breaststroke, the 100-yard breaststroke, the 200-yard breaststroke, the 100-yard IM, the 200-yard IM and the 400-yard IM. Sean Gibson also set records in the 100-yard IM, the 50-yard backstroke, the 100-yard backstroke and the 200-yard backstroke. Hoosier relay teams set the other three meet records.\nIU had the high-point scorer in the women's competition and the top two high-point scorers in the men's. Lloyd was the high-point score for the women, edging out Georgia swimmer Becky Hiro by four points. Doerr held the top points over his teammate Gibson by 10 points.\nDoerr said he was happy with the team's performance in their first national competition.\n"It was a very fun trip for the swim club and even though we were only able to take 16 people, we came away with second place as a team," Doerr said in a statement. "Everyone swam really well."\nBill Ramos, team coach, adviser and swimmer also said he was pleased with how the team competed in its first national competition.\n"I thought it was a great step for the team to just go to the national meet," Ramos said. "Doing as well as we did is just icing on the cake. We are looking forward to going again."\nThe swim club ended its season with this competition, but it will begin again next fall in pursuit of winning the competition. The swim club will start practice next fall and is open to swimmers of all abilities.