Impromptu memorial for crash victim draws hundreds

Novak was a choral leader at First United Methodist Church

Even with tables filled with hundreds of tiny flickering tealights, there weren't enough candles for the number of people who wanted to light them, said Reverend Jimmy Moore, associate pastor of First United Methodist Church.\nWith only a few hours of notice, attendants at First United Methodist Church, 219 E. Fourth St., managed to fill every pew -- including the balcony seats -- for a service to remember the lives of five IU music students killed in a plane crash late Thursday night.\nMore than 500 friends, colleagues and congregation members paid tribute to Zack Novak, who was the church's director of the adult and children's choirs, along with fellow music students Chris Carducci, Garth Eppley, Georgina Joshi and Robert Samels.\n"In the face of the loss of such lovely lives, we are left with questions," Moore said. "Tonight, we will find few answers."\nIn the opening hymn, the church, filled with hundreds of talented vocalists, echoed melodiously, even up to the highest rafters, yet resonated the tragedy of the day. This was a service by musicians, for musicians.\nRev. Joe Emerson, a teaching pastor, led the congregants in a prayer.\n"Dear God, we can't accept that you needed them for some angelic choir more than we do, but still, you (have) come," he said. "But we also come to be reminded that we live in the afterglow of Easter ... and that there is life after death."\nAfter the ceremony, Emerson spoke of his relationship with Novak. He said he will always think of him as energetic and excited about life.\n"Very few people have abilities to work with children and adults and be loved by both," he said.\nEmerson spoke with Novak earlier Thursday about his upcoming graduation and what he'd be doing in the future, he said.\n"What it teaches you, of course, is every day is a precious day," he said.\nMoore described Novak, who was on staff at the church for two years, as "the most responsible colleague" with whom he had ever worked.\nMany other attendants expressed their shock of the sudden loss of an influential young man.\n"I'm not at a point where I can even cry yet," said Stephanie Pettit, senior IU music major. Pettit knew Novak through the church choir and school, she said.\nOther individuals were touched to reminisce about the fond memories they hold of Novak.\n"My favorite memory of Zack is when he had this end of the year choir party," said Jenny Goodwin, member of the First United Methodist Church and mother of a child in one of Novak's choirs. "What he didn't tell us was that there was going to be a water balloon fight. And I mean he had the balloons already ready. The kids were so surprised. They said, 'You mean we get to have a water balloon fight in the church yard? All right!'"\nRachel Forbes, 9, daughter of Goodwin, said the water balloon fight was also one of her best memories of Novak.\n"He always smiled," Forbes added. "He was really fun."\nBrenda Tewel said she had a close relationship with Novak through the church. The two were in the process of directing a spring choral production for the children, ranging in ages 5 through 15.\n"Zack was the kind of person who just came into people's lives and just enriched them," Tewel said. "Age didn't matter, vocal ability didn't matter and he was truly a wonderful young man. He made the music come alive for the kids. They sang with their hearts, and they sang with their eyes."\nOn Sunday, the church will offer a mass in memory of the five students with special musical arrangements, Moore said. Following the morning service, at 9:30 a.m., the church will offer a faith counseling session for parents and children on coping with death.\nMoore said the church welcomes any community members grieving to attend the conversation. For more information, contact Natalie Proudfoot at 332-6396.