Gators wary of UCLA's tough defense

Bruins hope to stop Florida big men Noah, Horford

INDIANAPOLIS -- After spending several hours breaking down UCLA's defense Sunday, Florida's assistant coaches stepped out of the cramped video room for a short break.\nThey were admittedly tired and maybe a little overwhelmed.\nThe Gators haven't faced anyone like the Bruins, whose smothering, hounding, tempo-controlling defense could pose problems in the NCAA championship game Monday night.\n"They are one of the top, if not the best, defensive team in the country," Florida assistant Larry Shyatt said. "They have habitually the best half-court understanding I've see up to this point."\nThe Bruins are athletic and deep -- much like Tennessee and South Carolina, teams that handed Florida four of its six losses this season.\nUCLA guards Jordan Farmar and Arron Afflalo harass ball-handlers the second they cross midcourt. Forwards Cedric Bozeman and Luc Richard Mbah a Moute torment opponents with their in-your-face tenacity. And center Ryan Hollins hangs around the lane in hopes of altering shots and helping out.\nThen there's wave after wave of bench players eager to enter the game with the same intensity, something coach Ben Howland demands.\n"You've got to establish your game plan and let them know that you're not going to get punked," Florida forward Corey Brewer said.\nThe Bruins (32-6) have punked just about everyone lately.\nThey ran their stifling defensive scheme to perfection in NCAA Tournament wins over Memphis (regional final) and LSU (Final Four), holding both teams to 45 points. And they have allowed more than 60 points just once during their 11-game winning streak.\n"They're very physical, very well-coached, very disciplined," Florida assistant Donnie Jones said. "They're going to force you to pass the basketball, go deep into the shot clock and you're going to have to make plays against their defense.\n"Every possession's going to be a physical battle."\nThe Gators (32-6), though, might be up for the challenge. Joakim Noah and Al Horford have dominated down low, proving to be maybe the best frontcourt \ntandem in the country. Brewer has created consistent mismatches with his accurate shooting and slashing ability.\nThen there's Lee Humphrey and Taurean Green. The duo has combined to make 27 shots from 3-point range in five tournament games.\nHumphrey and Green could be the key to getting Florida its first national championship, needing to avoid turnovers, feed the ball inside and then make open shots.\n"We know they're going to pressure the ball," Green said. "We have to find a way to get in our offense and create."\nIt might not be easy against the Bruins.\nHowland was twice chosen Weber State's most valuable defensive player and he has carried it into his coaching career. He made it clear from his first team meeting in 2003 that players were required to be active on both ends of the court. If not, they wouldn't play.\nThey quickly bought into his aggressive, man-to-man style.\n"That's what has caused us to win games," Bruins guard Darren Collison said. "If the offense isn't working, we can turn it over and rely on defense."\nThe Bruins contest every dribble, every pass, every shot. They try to disrupt opponents cutting across the court or setting picks. And they always play help defense. But even though they double-team post players, they don't expect to let Humphrey, Green and Brewer get the kind of looks they did Saturday against George Mason.\nThe trio went a combined 12-of-25 from behind the arc.\n"It's not going to be an up-and-down game where a lot of points are going to be scored," Jones said. "All the little things are going to matter."\nAdded Shyatt: "You're not getting a lot easy; you might not get anything easy."\nAnd that's what makes the Gators wary. In the 2000 final, Florida was outplayed on both ends by a more aggressive and defensive-minded Michigan State team.\nCould it happen again?\n"Our biggest strength is we have a lot of guys that can score," Humphrey said. "In different games this year, different guys have stepped up. Our team is very unselfish and we generally have a high number of assists and pass the ball.\n"For us to be successful, we need to do that again"