Friends make the fashion happen

For the last fashion column of the school year, I could write about many things. I could write about how IU was ranked the No. 4 most fashionable college by Women's Wear Daily, how IU opened the doors for other colleges like Harvard and Rutgers to write about fashion or about the endless amount of fashion events that were held this semester. But I decided to write about something more -- friendship. \nAs I look back to when I started writing about fashion at IU, I was the lone ranger. I had to convince the Indiana Daily Student it was worth while and that people would be interested. That was four years ago. A column, an editor position and a magazine later, I have to say I did not do it alone. I have had two wonderful people by my side, and they are fashion photographer Christopher Farrar and fashion writer Mallory Zalkin. They have helped create a fashion scene at IU just as much as I have. \nWhen it comes to thriving in the fashion industry -- an industry built on connections and secret gatekeepers -- having friends is essential and having friends you can trust is even more imperative. I am lucky enough to say I have had two people who have encouraged me, and I have encouraged them. For that, we have reaped a multitude of rewards. I can remember dragging Farrar to Fashion Week in New York City as a photographer. I had the go-ahead from my connections in NYC, and I wanted a photographer for the IDS. We stepped on the scene, hit the ground running and never looked back. Those were fun times, but times got even better when Mallory decided she wanted to write about fashion. Farrar's sleek photos brought life to our writing. \nAt first, I hated Mallory. I will admit I was a bitch to her, and even now sometimes we want to kill each other. As I got to know her, I realized we had the same drive. Farrar would always say we got along so well because we are both crazy as hell -- call it a city mentality. What is so wonderful about Mallory is that she is just as stubborn and determined as I am. Instead of whining about wanting to write about fashion for the IDS and being jealous, she came to my apartment, sat down and listened. Secret meetings would become a regular part of getting things done and making connections. As our friendship and working relationship grew, I taught her everything I knew. I helped her get internships in New York, pulled strings to get her into Australia Fashion Week and taught her how to work the scene. Farrar and I fondly called her "The Baby," and as some people painfully learned, nothing can come between us. We are the two fashionistas who never dress up -- unless there is a celebrity involved, of course. \nThough I taught Mallory a lot, she has also helped me because I was and still am learning. When I needed stories done, she was always there. When I almost tripped and fell on my face backstage at the Bill Blass show, she caught me. And while I faced overt and covert racism here at IU, she was always there to say, "Don't let them stop you. They are just jealous, everyone is jealous." As I have struggled to get my degree and fulfill my passion, the encouragement from Farrar and Mallory has meant so much to me. \nNow that Farrar is following his passion of photography in California, and Mallory is about to graduate, I must say we have come a long way. We share each other's secrets, cry on each other's shoulders and have learned how the fashion business is done. The industry is built on great teams and friendships: Juicy Couture, Badgley & Mischka, Sass & Bide, Y & Kei, Anna Wintour and Andre Leon Talley, and so on. \nI think the most important thing I have learned is that in an industry and on a campus where money and clothes seem to matter most, great friends can get you and keep you at the top. We have every door opened to us because of each other. We will be the next great team. So for all of you out there: Find good friends you can trust. Friends open doors, teach you about yourself and are there to help celebrate when the rankings come in and you're at the top.