CAMPUS QUIZ

It's difficult to notice the stone figurine of a woman less than five feet long resting peacefully in the grass beneath a large tree on the south side of the School of Education. Those who do notice the figure, however, are often struck by its most distinguished characteristic -- its lost head. \nPrior to the construction of the School of Education, the area was used by fine arts faculty and students, said Adelheid Gealt, director of the IU Art Museum. \n"I remember there were roaches larger than dogs there until they condemned it," she said. "They were studios for graduate students and rooms for critiques and stuff like that." \nWhile no one is exactly sure how the figure ended up in its final resting place, sources say it was most likely a leftover piece of work from the fine arts studio. \nMike Schrader, assistant manager of the IU Physical Plant's campus division, said he is reluctant to dispose of the piece \nbecause of the folklore tied to it. \n"It's kind of tucked away, where it's not really in our way," he said. "I got the impression from some of the students that have worked for us over the years that there's some kind of folklore to it ... Because it's not really in the way of anything we need to do, we've just left it there." \nSchrader said he thought a student left the work behind. \n"This was right when I started, 20 years ago, before the education building was built," he said. "There were several old wooden frame structures in that area that the art department had studios in, and that was just kind of left as a result of when the art department used to be over there." \nJane Kaho, administrative assistant to the executive associate dean of the School of Education, said neither she nor staff members she spoke with were familiar with the sculpture or its origins, but they presumed a student from the fine arts studio left it behind.