Bank robbery accomplice arrested at his apartment

Police nab 21-year-old in Regions heist

Bloomington Police arrested a second suspect for robbing the Regions Bank on College Mall Road just before spring break. After initially charging IU junior Maggy Baurley with robbery March 11, police continued the investigation and arrested Bloomington resident Damion P. Bridgewater, 21, Sunday. He was preliminarily charged with conspiracy to commit robbery.\nAccording to the probable cause affidavit, Bridgewater admitted writing the note used in the bank robbery and driving Baurley to and from the bank. He told police that he and Baurley got the idea for the robbery after watching "Set If Off," a 1996 film about women who rob banks, according to a BPD press release.\nAfter the March 10 robbery, Baurley and Bridgewater split up the money and Bridgewater said he was leaving for Florida, according to the report. \nWhen Baurley was arrested the next day, she told police she had worked with an accomplice who had taken at least half the money, said BPD Detective Sgt. David Drake. BPD detectives continued investigating and, Sunday, Officer Jarred Burns recognized Bridgewater at the Kroger on South Walnut Street. Burns followed him to his apartment, where he was taken into custody without incident.\nBaurley, a 2002 graduate of Bloomington High School North, admitted to police that she robbed the bank and was charged with robbery, a class C felony, according to the police report. She appeared in court March 17 and pleaded not guilty.\nThat arrest came after officers received a tip March 11 that the robber was someone named "Maggy" who lived in the 800 block of South Washington Street. Officers obtained a search warrant for the residence and found clothing matching the suspect's apparel at the time of the robbery and a money wrapper from the bank.\nOfficers located Baurley later that night at a house in the 1400 block of South Washington Street, where she admitted to the crime, according to the report.\nBridgewater had been in Key West, Fla., before returning to Bloomington, Drake said. He was also charged with receiving stolen property after police discovered a laptop computer in Baurley's vehicle that had been stolen in an October 2005 burglary.\nBridgewater was released on his own recognizance from Monroe County Jail Monday. A representative at the jail said this means Bridgewater will remain free because he promised that he will show up for his first court date.