Area dance troupe recalls Nirvana, The Rolling Stones in performance Saturday

Hoping to ignite a passion for dance in the community, Bloomington's Windfall Dance Company's spring show centers on the history of rock 'n' roll, said co-director Laura McCain.\n"Roots of Rock" will open at 8 p.m. tonight in the John Waldron Arts Center Auditorium. Performances will continue Saturday and April 21-22, all at 8 p.m.\n"I really love the theme of this show because rock 'n' roll is such an important part of American culture," McCain said. "It shows how the different groups who immigrated to this country brought their cultures and influenced music."\nFeaturing 21 pieces of original choreography, the show begins with early American spirituals and Appalachian folk music. The second act will feature more modern-day music such as Nirvana and The Rolling Stones, according to the show's press release.\nCo-director and sophomore Rachel Beyer said the company created the show together because Windfall has no designated artistic director.\n"It's a really small organization," she said. \nWindfall hopes to attract more people to modern dance.\n"Modern dance and rock 'n' roll have a lot in common," Beyer said. "They're both rebellious art forms."\nWindfall just went through a bit of a rebellious stage of its own, trading in its space for a larger one.\n"We've been in this tiny studio on the square for many years," Beyer said. "And the rent was ridiculous."\nShe said Windfall plans to make use of its new location in an old church at 1101 N. Dunn by renting it out to other performance groups in the area. \nWindfall is affiliated with two youth companies, which will both be performing in the concert.\nMatt Wisley, the only male member of Windfall, directs one of these companies.\nHe said this show is fun because people of all ages will be familiar with the music.\n"It's so upbeat and lively," he said. "It can be a trip down memory lane."\nHe also said the audience will have a chance to get involved during intermission, when the company will play "Tutti Frutti" and encourage patrons to dance in the aisles.\n"Roots of Rock" is part of the 2005-2006 Bloomington Area Arts Council Performance Series at the Waldron. Tickets are available at the John Waldron Arts Center, cost $10 for general admission and $8 for students and senior citizens. Tickets are $6 each for groups of 10 or more. Reserve group tickets in advance by calling 334-0506 or by \nsending an e-mail to\nartd@bluemarble.net.