Weekend race hits home for cancer survivor

Sophomore part of Relay for Life committee

The third annual Relay for Life cancer benefit will run Saturday and Sunday with the goal of remembering and honoring those who have lost their lives to cancer and celebrating those who have survived. For some, a walk around the track means supporting a mother or an uncle, but to others the event means much more. \nSophomore Tom Morse is a volunteer with Relay for Life. Morse became involved with Relay after his aunt lost her battle with cancer, but he became a more active participant when cancer crept even closer to home. \n"I just had skin cancer. I don't personally feel like that's the end of the world," he said. \nMorse was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma last year. One of three types of skin cancer, squamous cell is the second rarest and can spread to the lymph nodes. Basal cell is the most common, while melanoma is the rarest but the most dangerous. \nMorse recalled having a raised scab on his right shoulder that "sprouted" into what he called a "pea-size bump." The bump was scabbed over on top and wouldn't heal. Because he didn't remember being injured there, Morse went in to see a doctor after two weeks. \nThe doctor said it was probably a spider bite. \nAfter taking the medication for a week with no signs of improvement, doctors had to biopsy, or remove, Morse's sore. After waiting "a long five to 10 business days" for the results, Morse received the news and has been educating himself about cancer in an effort to educate others. \nOriginally from Seattle, Morse never got sun burnt as a child, has no direct relatives with cancer and no history of skin cancer. Morse now uses sunscreen every time he knows he will be exposed to the sun for any length of time and must see the doctor for biannual checkups for the next five years. After that, he will visit the doctor yearly for the rest of his life. At the beginning of the semester, Morse went in for his six-month follow-up to his biopsy and the test showed he had was cancer-free. \nMorse is a member of Relay for Life's Survivorship Committee, a group of about 10 individuals who plan activities for cancer survivors to participate in during the event. \n"One of the coolest projects we're working on is making a quilt where all the survivors are going to get their own square and it will spell out 'hope,'" he said. "We're donating it to an oncology unit. I'm pretty excited about that." \nIn addition to working with Relay for Life, Morse is senior vice president of Eigenmann Hall's student government and president of the IU Judo Club. Morse is majoring in East Asian studies and anthropology. He said the members of the Judo Club have been really supportive and understanding, and teachers have understood his inability to attend classes on occasion. \nMorse advises people to know their bodies enough to notice any changes in the color, shape or size of moles. He said many people have naïve beliefs about skin cancer.\n"I don't think people realize that skin cancer is just like any other cancer," he said. "People think it's just a quick cut with the scalpel, but it's a lot, and it's nerve-wracking every time." \nSponsored by the American Cancer Society, the Relay for Life benefit will run from noon Saturday until 10 a.m. Sunday on the Hayes Track at the Robert C. Haugh Track and Field Complex.