Man flees police; found with marijuana

Police arrested a Bloomington man early Tuesday morning on preliminary charges of carrying a handgun without a permit, possession of marijuana and resisting law enforcement.\nBloomington police encountered Michael Wise, Jr., 23, at the intersection of Second and Patterson streets parked in a green Pontiac with a female passenger in the front seat beside him. Wise told the officers he was having car trouble, the police report said. Wise had no license and he told police he was not driving.\nAccording to the police report, Wise had an open beer bottle in his hand and was exhibiting "nervous behavior." He also refused to take his right hand out of his coat pocket. As the police questioned him, Wise attempted to exit the vehicle. After resisting the officers, Wise took off running along West Second Street, the police report said. The officers caught him after he ran 150 yards. They discovered a plastic bag filled with marijuana in his possession. A handgun was also found in the vicinity of the chase and police speculate he had dropped it, the report said.\nDrugs suspected in recent robbery\nA Bloomington resident was robbed at knife point a little after midnight Tuesday on the 400 block of East Allen Street.\nThe 19-year-old victim said two men wearing ski masks entered his residence while he was watching TV, ordering him to the floor and demanding a lockbox in his possession.\nAccording to police reports, one robber held a knife close to the face of the victim and asked, "Where is it?" After retrieving the safe, the robbers ordered the man to stay on the floor and fled through the front door, according to the report.\nThe safe was owned by a third party who did not cooperate with the police, Capt. Joe Qualters said. In the police report the officers said the crime was likely drug-related, due to the reluctance of the victims to tell the police what the safe contained.\n"One would speculate, based on prior experience, that the safe contained an illegal substance," Qualters said.\nThe first robber was wearing a red sweatshirt and a ski mask. He was described as being 5 feet 6 inches tall with a medium build. The second robber was wearing a blue sweatshirt and ski mask. He was described as being 5 feet 10 inches tall with a thin build. The case is still under investigation.