Controversial classics on DVD

Three controversial classics of New Hollywood cinema, three films showing how powerful the media truly is. The boxset "Controversial Classics Vol. 2: The Power of Media" is a goldmine of a release -- offering amazing new two-disc editions of Alan J. Pakula's "All the President's Men" and two of Sidney Lumet's greatest works, "Network" and "Dog Day Afternoon." All three of them Oscar gems, with 24 nominations and nine wins between them.\n"All the President's Men" takes icons Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman and throws them into the Watergate scandal as journalists Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein respectively. Slow and drawn out, every passing minute painstakingly worthwhile as both men get closer to bringing down the Nixon machine.\n"Network" puts us in the office of UBS News as anchor Howard Beale (Peter Finch) threatens on-air suicide, proclaims, "I'm as mad as hell!" and ascends to media prophet. With a supporting cast containing Robert Duvall, William Holden and Faye Dunaway, corporate perversion never seemed so venomous.\n"Dog Day Afternoon" finds Al Pacino robbing a bank for the sake of making amends with his lover, but soon the act turns into a media fiasco, capturing the fury and fervor of an irritated Sonny Wortzik's screams of "Attica! Attica!"\nWhile all three DVDs are available separately, the boxset is worth the modest price tag ($40-$60 at most places). Commentaries on all films, ranging from a reminiscent Redford to Lumet pointing out technical moments of genius and acting favorites. "Network's" 90-minute comprehensive documentary makes a good companion to the hour-long "Dog Day Afternoon" one -- thankfully Pacino appears on the latter. \nSome of the best supplements include the Turner Classic Movies interview with Lumet on the "Network" disc, a complete retrospective on his work post-Oscar acceptance last year. "President's Men" takes top honors, with two making-of docs, interviews with Woodward and Bernstein. and, most importantly, a featurette on Mark Felt aka Deep Throat, who finally emerged from the shadows last May.\nJust like this year's Oscar-nominated "Good Night, and Good Luck," all three of these films only go to show how important the media and journalism has become in our world today. Every film owes debt to Edward R. Murrow, the man who got the ball rolling and showed us that journalists don't just cover history -- they have the power to become part of it.