No signs? No problem

It's a familiar scene just inside the doors of Assembly Hall: Groups of zealous, underage male students storm into the stadium clad in sleeveless shirts and headbands ready to cheer on the Hoosier men's basketball team with signs in hand. But just as their tickets are scanned in, the signs are confiscated and their excitement quickly dwindles to frustration and anger. Chances of getting on TV have dwindled to a near impossibility. \n"We've always had a policy of no signs inside the stadium," said Director of Game Management Kit Klingelhoffer. "We try to screen at the door, but some people put them under their coat. Our enforcement inside the stadium is at our discretion -- we're lenient on letting signs remain depending on their message."\nThis policy might seem lame to some, but for every Hoosier-supporting "I Love Ben Allen!" or "In Rod We Trust" sign, there are 10 times as many unsportsmanlike or derogatory signs that might fly with the drunk kids in the stands who created them, but aren't viewed in the same light by the University, alumni or the general public. And sure, it's cool to try and come up with ways to fill out ESPN or CBS so you can get on TV -- but its so cliché. Do you want to be labeled as that guy? No, you don't.\nSign-toting fans can also block the view of people behind them. Complaints are sometimes filed to ushers and their signs are quickly confiscated.\nBut sometimes the complainers are large men with a short fuse and they don't act like girly men and complain to an usher. They complain to your face with a swift and accurate right hook.\nOne possible solution could be ushers allowing positive signs through at the gates and screening out the unsportsmanlike ones, but where is the line drawn between acceptable and offensive?\nSo if you're dead set on expressing yourself through a 42-cent Wal-Mart poster board and a set of Crayola markers, it's best to scribble 'Go Hoosiers' on it. That way, there will at least be some chance of it surviving past the first stoppage of play.\nAlthough this is a college town where students should be free to exercise their First Amendment rights, there are plenty of other ways to show your support for the home team or disdain for the opposing squad. Chanting in unison with thousands of other fans does more to distract or intimidate the opposing squad than a cardboard sign ever will. \nSo stand up, clap your hands, boo, chant and cheer with all your heart. That's something no usher can take away from you.