Works of congressman on display

Lilly Library to display Lee Hamilton's letters to constituents

The works of Congressman Lee Hamilton -- former representative from Indiana's 9th District -- will be on display at the Lilly Library until April 1.\nThe exhibit lauds the more than 30-year tenure of Hamilton with personal photos and over 3,500 cartons full of documents detailing the contacts and affairs that occurred during his congressional career.\nHamilton's wife Nancy Hamilton provided more than 600 photos to compliment the congressman's writings, said Kate Cruikshank, curator of the exhibit. \n"The exhibit is extremely informative in describing the inner workings of a congressman," she said. "I believe this is what Congressman Hamilton wanted to convey to viewers."\nThe exhibit, organized by Cruikshank, contains much of the correspondence between Hamilton and the people that he represented. The documents include 35,000 letters to his constituents and the prompt responses that he made addressing their concerns.\n"I have almost been in his mind," Cruikshank said. "He knows what it means to be a true congressman, apart from all the monetary issues -- he is there for people that he represents."\nHamilton is also the founder of the Center on Congress in the School for Public and Environmental Affairs. Hamilton said the purpose of the center is to enhance the understanding of democracy within the University.\n"I hope that the viewers of this exhibit receive a sense of the day-to-day work of a member of the House of Representatives," he said.\nHamilton said the exhibit holds personal meaning -- not only for his family -- but for the people he has represented.\n"This exhibit displays the heart of democracy, which is exemplified through the successful relationship between the men in congress and those that they represent," Hamilton said. "If this relationship does not work, then democracy does not work."\nPatricia Steele, interim dean of IU libraries, believes that the papers will be a valuable resource to both students and faculty at IU.\n"To the libraries, such a gift is a sign of trust in the libraries to provide access, organization and preservation of an important record," Steele said. "Ultimately the scholars of today and tomorrow will benefit greatly." \nVisitors to the exhibit are encouraged to take a glimpse through these documents and discover the complexities of the democratic system while gaining respect for the work Hamilton did for more than 30 years.\n"I hope that those who visit the exhibit come away with an appreciation for what one person can accomplish and what a difference he or she can make," Steele said.\nHamilton said he is looking forward to examining the documents and remembering his time in Congress.\n"A visit to the Lilly Library will be like taking a walk down memory lane," Hamilton said. "It will be interesting to relive each moment as I go through the exhibit"