Pacers used to Artest trade talk

Team ignoring rumors involving inactive player

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indiana Pacers are getting accustomed to all the trade rumors involving Ron Artest. The stories have come so fast, and without substantiation, the Pacers are just ignoring them.\n"It's good for us to get a rhythm and stay with the guys we have and understand that these are the guys who are going to be here," Stephen Jackson said Thursday. "We have to get it done with these guys. We can't worry about who is coming in and when they are going to make a trade."\nThe Pacers need to just play basketball, said Jackson, who has usually been the team's No. 2 scorer in the 16 games since Artest last played in early December.\n"I've heard of some trades, but none of them have probably been true," Jackson said. "I've talked to Ron, but it really hasn't been on my mind. I wish him the best and hope for the best for this team."\nThe latest rumor had Artest, who has been inactive since last month, heading to the Los Angeles Clippers in a trade for forward Corey Maggette, who has been out with a torn left foot ligament since early December. Earlier, there were rumors Artest would go to the Golden State Warriors in a package deal that included Troy Murphy.\nBut Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said Thursday he had no word on a deal.\nArtest's agent, Mark Stevens, declined comment. A message left by The Associated Press with Rob Pelinka, Maggette's agent, was not immediately returned.\nPacers CEO Donnie Walsh was at Thursday's practice, but did not talk with reporters. He has been consistently declining comment on trade rumors and said the team would have an announcement when a deal had been completed.\nArtest, the 2003-04 NBA defensive player of the year, was averaging 19.4 points when he voiced his desire to be traded last month. He later recanted that statement, but team president Larry Bird and Walsh have said they were no longer interested in having him play for Indiana.\nMeanwhile, Artest said he was anxious to have the team complete a deal. He hasn't played in a game since Dec. 6 and is not welcome at the team's practices.\n"You hear about them, but you never know what's true," Artest said. "I'm just waiting to find out which team I'll be playing for."\nInjuries, illness and the absence of Artest have compounded the struggles of the Pacers, who were expected to contend for the Eastern Conference championship when the season began. After winning three of their last four games, the Pacers are 19-14 and trail Central Division leader Detroit by 8-1/2 games heading into Friday night's visit by Washington to Conseco Fieldhouse.\nJermaine O'Neal, who leads Indiana in scoring with a 21.8 average, looked surprised when told about the reported deal for Maggette.\n"I really don't want to comment about it. He's hurting and is going to have about six more weeks off," O'Neal said. "I would prefer to have somebody who could play right away, but I don't run the team. I just play the game and know that (Walsh) and those guys will make a decision over what's best for the team"