And while my roommate gently weeps ...

It's been five days since I have seen my roommate. Seriously. He was last seen Sunday at the RCA Dome. Since the Colts-Steelers game, no one in my house has seen or heard a word from him. He is either dead or waiting in some tall bushes outside Colts' kicker Mike Vanderjagt's house. If you're reading this, Andrew, I finished the entire box of Nilla Wafers in your room. I figured I was doing you a favor. I thought you would be sick and tired of seeing the color yellow. I was going to swing a small yellow towel when you came home. But two hours later I got bored, and I ate that too. \nAs for Pittsburgh's linebacker Joey Porter, he is sick and tired of seeing the colored stripes of black and white. After the Steelers' remarkable win over the Colts, Porter sounded off on the referees. They overturned a Troy Polamalu interception late in the fourth quarter when the Steelers led 24-10, an interception that would have knocked the proverbial last nail into my roommate's coffin. \n"I felt they were cheating us ... everybody in the world knew that was an interception. When they did that, they really want Peyton Manning and these guys to win the Super Bowl. Somebody has to say something about that, man, because it ain't right," Porter said.\nWhile Porter's grammar might be off, his judgment certainly is not. The NFL released a statement Tuesday acknowledging that referee Pete Morelli had made a mistake. They agreed the call should have been an interception, and not an incomplete pass.\nTry to grasp the magnitude of the situation. If the offensive line had actually shown up to play and the Colts won the game, this call would have been sport historical. It would have Sportorical! Imagine Dwight Clark was out of bounds when he caught Joe Montana's pass over the Cowboys. Imagine Scott Norwood's kick went straight through the uprights. Imagine the "Immaculate Reception" was instead a meaningless incompletion. \nIt may be the Wafers going to my head, but if the Polamalu call remains an incomplete and the Colts win -- where do you think they would be in a few weeks? In Detroit, laughing their asses off, preparing for Super Bowl XL. Playing host to Denver in the AFC Championship would have been a joke and the odds are in Indy's advantage when they play on indoor turf against the NFC champion. \nTruth is, if the refs really wanted Peyton and the Ponies to win this game, they would have gathered at the middle of the field and said, "Upon further review, the call has been reversed -- the field goal by Vanderjagt is good -- and despite the 21-21 tied score, the Colts win." \nNow THAT would have been Sportorical!\nInstead, it will be the \nSteelers-Broncos and not the Patriots and Colts who will battle for a trip to Detroit. (It'll also be the first time in history that somebody actually wants to go to Detroit). Honestly, I'd rather watch paint dry, or an entire season of "Dancing with the Stars" than a Broncos-Seahawks Super Bowl. Give me two underdogs who have scrapped their way to the top.\nInstead, the Colts, 38-10 in the regular season but ineffective in the last three postseasons, will remain below the glass ceiling of Super Bowl contenders. The Colts will be remembered by what they didn't do, which was clear the hurdle of the New England Patriots. \nAnd in the most recent Sportorical moment, Mike Vanderjagt, perfect on field goals at home all throughout the regular season, missed the most important kick in Indianapolis' postseason. Still, despite a trip to Denver for the AFC Championship Game, Joey Porter echoed what the NFL later ruled: Polamalu completed the interception, and Vanderjagt, like Norwood, kicked it wide right. \nAnd somewhere, in a dark corner, underneath the bleachers of the RCA Dome, now masked and mourned as a memorial to the 14-2 regular season, my roommate gently weeps.