Our forgotten poor

All I care about right now is finishing that last paper and then going brain dead for about three weeks. Well, not exactly brain dead because I have to take a placement exam in January. And, you have to stay on your toes around my family, or you're definitely going to wind up the worse for it. But you know what I mean.\nHowever, I keep coming across things that force my limping gray mass back into action, new facts that demand at least some response. Facts such as three of the counties surrounding us here in Monroe County are labeled "Impoverished Zones" by the federal government. That means the government has officially admitted there are not enough jobs in those counties for the people who live there. I found myself struggling to decide what was more exasperating about the situation: that the government would allow these to exist or that the people would choose to stay there instead of seeking brighter prospects elsewhere.\nA friend of mine who is involved with the county government tells me it is good for a community to have about 5 percent unemployment. While that is likely true from a purely economic viewpoint, it's not a good thing for those out of work and on the dole. I know; I've been among them before. Whether it's rural poverty or urban blight, the struggle for jobs (and consequently, the dignity we Americans attach to our work) is a deeply personal mission for which no economic chart can truly account. What's worse, poverty in rural areas is often out of sight and ignored. \nThis struggle is being coupled with an attack on our social safety net. As I have discussed previously, Gov. Mitch Daniels is seeking to privatize many parts of our government (including, ironically enough, our public assistance). What is worse, the money Indiana does receive to help those struggling against rural poverty (programs like Temporary Assistance to Needy Families) is mostly diverted to such flawed programs as abstinence-only sex education. Many parts of our social safety net are woefully mismanaged by an idealogue-driven agenda mandated by people whose primary interests do not lie with our poor. Those few parts of our public assistance program that actually offer real help to our poor are constantly being threatened with elimination in order to help pay for a new tax cut or for some other reason that usually strikes me as either worthless or flat-out immoral. It just ain't right to steal from the mouths of the poor to finance a new tax cut.\nWinter is coming, and it is an easy time to lose ourselves in our own lives. Between the buzzing in our ears that is the stress of impending deadlines and our dread/anticipation of family gatherings, it is easy to lose sight of the suffering that is going on in our community. But if you have ever gone a day with a hungry belly, or spent a night without heat, or found yourself in a situation that brought you embarrassment, you might be able to empathize with those who are quietly suffering. You need to force yourself to remember those who lack your good fortunes, and find some time or means to help out, particularly in this season of giving.