Local restaurant is part of growing 'quick-casual' scene

Walk into locally-owned burrito restaurant Laughing Planet just off Kirkwood Avenue and the local Bloomington flair is almost palpable. A Little 500 bike and jersey hang on the wall, each tabletop has its own colorful design, there are local magazines and handouts to read while waiting, the menu and specials are written on chalkboards and Laughing Planet T-shirts such as "beans'r'us," hang on the back wall above the tiny kitchen area.\nMany outside observers thought Laughing Planet would have been swallowed up in the wake of burrito giant Chipotle's opening last year, but that has not been the case. Laughing Planet owner Pete Smith says it is doing better than ever. \n"We have not felt much of anything from Chipotle. I think they have brought a little more business downtown just from people who recognize their name, (those) who wouldn't necessarily venture downtown," Smith said. \nAlong with the increasing popularity of burritos, the quick-casual segment of the market is rapidly growing. Quick-casual is a category in dining defined as healthier and better prepared than fast food but cheaper and faster than a traditional sit-down restaurant which Laughing Planet and Chipotle would both fall into. On average, Americans eat out five times a week and spend more than $400 billion annually. Currently the quick-casual segment only accounts for about $6 billion. But by 2010 the quick-casual segment is predicted to double and account for half of all food service growth, according to McKinsey Quarterly.\nThe burrito is an item that lends itself especially well to the quick-casual concept, as evidenced by cross-town Moe's, which specializes in burritos and Tex-Mex, and fellow burrito makers Qdoba and Baja Fresh, which both have locations in Indianapolis. The good news for Laughing Planet is the market is quickly growing, but so is the competition.\nAside from serving burritos, Chipotle is a polar-opposite of Laughing Planet. Chipotle has a very industrial feel with sheet metal counters, trash cans and black and white prints on the wall.\nA clear difference is the clientele of the two restaurants. At lunch or dinner time, Chipotle becomes a sea of sweatshirts and hats embossed with sorority and fraternity letters, which is a direct contrast to the atmosphere at Laughing Planet that exudes more of an independent and artisan vibe.\nBoth Laughing Planet and Chipotle use organic ingredients, but the focus at Laughing Planet is much more health oriented. Laughing Planet uses chicken, but the main focus is on the vegetarian and vegan choices. Also, they use brown rice instead of white rice, and try to incorporate locally grown vegetables during the summer growing season.\n"I like burritos," said IU senior Ben Falk. "Laughing Planet is a lot healthier than other places, and (the burritos are) huge."\nOver its 10 years in existence, Laughing Planet has established itself as a prominent member of the Bloomington community, which it plans on continuing by increasing involvement in local charities. It donates to local charities and helps sponsor events such as the PRIDE film festival, and each month it underwrites programming at the local radio station, WFHB.\nAnother major asset to Laughing Planet is its location. Beneath it the underground coffee shop, Soma. Above it is the Cactus Flower, a vintage apparel and home furnishings store. Behind Laughing Planet is TD's, a local music store.\n"I think we're complementary businesses. We have the same basic customer make-up," Smith said. "We're all pretty good friends and get along great. It's like a little co-op"