Hispanics face workplace struggles

On a stormy Tuesday night with tornado warnings and sirens blaring, about two dozen people attended Mass at St. Paul's Church. But this was no ordinary Catholic Mass -- it was completely in Spanish. \nMost in attendance were part of the rapidly growing Hispanic community in the Bloomington area. According to the U.S. Census Data for Hispanics/Latinos, Monroe County has seen a 63.5 percent increase in Hispanic residents between 1990 and 2000, while Bloomington has seen a 73.4 percent increase. Of these Hispanic residents in Monroe County, there has been a 162.3 percent increase in those that were born in a Latin American country. \nThe vast majority of these immigrants are Mexican, and they are searching for employment in the United States. Yet numerous cultural barriers have hindered this pursuit of employment. \nLillian Maria Casillas, director of the La Casa Latino Cultural Center at IU, helps many of these immigrants adjust to American culture. Casillas explained that many immigrant families are on the poverty level or just a little above. \n"There is a lot of labor abuse," Casillas said. "Many are paid under the table, below minimum wage with no health insurance."\nCasillas described one man whose apartment caught on fire and was forced to jump from the third story to save himself. The man, who worked in construction, broke both of his arms and was not only without health insurance to pay his medical costs but was also out of a job. \n"I never wish to come to America but had a lot of opportunity to come," said Isaac Salazar, who moved to Bloomington in November of 2002. "It was hard. I don't speak that well English and had no license to drive, so it was hard to move." \nSalazar, a legal immigrant to the United States, now plays music in piano bars, disc jockeys and teaches piano and guitar for others in the Latino community. He explained that it is easy for those with papers to receive $8 to $10 per hour, but those without papers will almost always receive below minimum wage. \nRicardo Castillo, also an immigrant, came to Bloomington last fall from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. Castillo said upon coming to America he was afraid of the language and would avoid conversations. The paperwork process to be approved for work can progress very slowly, and Castillo had to wait nine months until he could be employed.\n"At my first job, I didn't get paid for as many hours as I worked," said Castillo through a translator. "I also didn't have health insurance, but thank God I never got sick."\nCastillo is still searching for full-time employment as he continues to go between different short-term jobs, such as his current three-week construction job. He said he has learned a lot in the short time he has lived here but has struggled with racism and people who don't understand him or his culture. \n"Many immigrants have to compete with IU students for jobs, and many work as dish washers in kitchens," said Tim Gonzalez, director of Latino Ministry at St. Paul's Catholic Center.\nGonzalez said that although an employer may give workers 40 hours a week, most of these hours are during weekdays when restaurants have less business; therefore, many are sent home early, cutting their hours down to as low as 30. \nBloomington has acknowledged problems the growing Latino community faces by setting up the Monroe County Latino Needs Task Force. Their goal is 'to provide further information towards constructing a fully integrated and effective service provision for the Latino population in Monroe County.'\nAccording to the Task Force, "Most workers do not know their rights or, if they do, are fearful of demanding them."\nThe report also stated, "Most information on availability of jobs is mostly communicated by word of mouth, which often limits the sphere of possibility for those with limited English capabilities."\nMany immigrants will jump at the opportunity of any job offer in their struggle to provide for their families and children. Their children are not without their struggles, too. \nStudents without legal documentation who have graduated from high school cannot go to a public university and receive in-state tuition rates. And in the public school system, some students are unable to handle the language barrier.\n"Teachers will call about the students getting into fights," said Casillas, referring to the children who are just beginning to learn English. "Usually if they fight it's because they felt stupid. They would rather be accused of being bad than being stupid." \nEven everyday tasks, such as grocery shopping, driving and doctor's visits can be a huge adjustment for immigrants. \n"Montezuma's revenge," the illness some Americans receive after drinking water in Mexico, is also experienced by Mexicans in America. Their bodies are unaccustomed to U.S. processed foods and water, and they can become very ill.\nLatinos will often seek medical care at hospital emergency rooms when mildly ill with the flu, cold or similar non-life threatening problems. And since most have no health insurance, they also have no idea of the excessive costs these visits entail. \n"In Mexico, clinics are part of a social health system and are free to everyone," Casillas said. "They think American hospitals are like these clinics." \nOther health issues may affect the men of the household, who usually come first to America to find employment before bringing their families. Casillas explained that while making the transition, some will turn to drinking and consequently face issues with alcoholism and depression. There are no Spanish-speaking Alcoholics Anonymous groups in Bloomington and most immigrants do not seek, or can't afford psychological help.\nCasillas, who is also a member of the Latino Needs Task Force, displays a button in her office that says "viva la huelga." This is in support of the Latino community's annual strike -- huelga -- protesting racism against the Latino community.\nBut despite strikes like these, new immigrants will continue to face the same struggle to stay afloat day after day while enduring racism and abuse from employers.