Wasted chances haunt IU in 2nd loss to Nittany Lions

Despite more shots and corners, Hoosiers fall again

EVANSTON, Ill. -- Coming out of halftime with the score tied 0-0, the IU men's soccer team outshot Penn State nine to one in the second half of the Big Ten men's soccer championship Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately for the Hoosiers, one shot was all Penn State needed to win the title 1-0.\nWith three minutes remaining in the game, Penn State forward Jason Yeisley converted Penn State's lone shot in the second half when his shot sailed over IU sophomore goalkeeper Chris Munroe to give the Nittany Lions the title.\nThe No. 2 (National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll) Hoosiers walked off the field empty-handed after failing to score on one of several opportunities during the game.\n"To win games you've got to score goals," IU coach Mike Freitag said. "We created chances, but unfortunately we didn't finish them today."\nFor the game, IU outshot Penn State 18 to seven and held a nine to zero advantage in corner kicks. The cream and crimson controlled the pace of the game, keeping the ball on the Nittany Lion side of the field for most of the contest.\nThe best chance for the Hoosiers in the first half came in the 44th minute when senior forward Brian Plotkin received the ball from a freshman Lee Nguyen corner kick. Plotkin, a Missouri Athletic Club Hermann Trophy candidate, struck a shot with the outside of his left foot, which sailed just over the crossbar.\nThe Hoosier offense continued to knock on the door in the second half. In the 57th minute, IU had three consecutive corner kicks, but the Nittany Lion defense kept the Hoosiers from converting.\nNine minutes later, Nguyen found himself on a breakaway with Penn State goalkeeper Conrad Taylor. Nguyen took a hard shot to the corner, but Taylor came up with the save to preserve the 0-0 tie. \n"Their goalie came up with two huge saves in the second half," Nguyen said. "It happens sometimes. I guess today just wasn't our day."\nThe final Hoosier opportunity came in the 82nd minute when junior forward and MAC Hermann Trophy candidate Jacob Peterson had his shot from the inside of the penalty box saved by Taylor.\nDespite creating an offensive advantage by controlling the game, the Hoosier offense could not get the ball past Taylor. The first team All-Big Ten selection made nine saves while recording his ninth shutout of the season. \nTaylor was named most valuable defensive player of the Big Ten tournament.\n"I had confidence in our defense and myself. I wasn't worried while they were coming after us," Taylor said. "Obviously it's pretty nerve-wracking being in the position where they keep getting chances with the game tied."\nThe only other loss for IU this season came when Penn State defeated the Hoosiers 2-1 Sept. 30. In the previous match, the Hoosiers also had large advantages in shots and corners. The Hoosiers bounced back from the earlier loss with a four-game winning streak. The team hopes to repeat that success once the NCAA tournament begins.\n"We would have liked to win," Peterson said. "(Losing) is just another hurdle that we need to move on from. Hopefully we can pick it back up in the tournament"