Plotkin to miss first game of Big Tens

Memorable game bittersweet as senior receives suspension

A dream game for senior Brian Plotkin ended on a sour note as the midfielder will miss the first game of the Big Ten tournament Thursday. When center referee Abiodun Okulaja gave Plotkin a yellow card in the 68th minute it meant more than getting Plotkin's name in the ref's book. For his fifth yellow card of the season, Plotkin must serve a one-game suspension. \n"It's disappointing. I didn't mean to get the guy like I did. We made the same angle at the run and I tried to get around him," Plotkin said. "I'm not going to be able to play, but I will still be up there for the first (game) leading the team from the bench. Hopefully they can get a win so I can help us out in the semis."\nThe Missouri Athletic Club Herman Trophy candidate leads the Hoosiers with 25 points this season on eight goals and nine assists. Plotkin will be absent from the Hoosier starting lineup for the first time since his freshman year.\n"It's a shame, but someone will step up in his place and we'll go on," IU head coach Mike Freitag said.\nSeconds after Plotkin scored the game winning goal, 'Da Superfans led the student charge on the field to celebrate the Hoosier victory.\n"That was unbelievable," senior midfielder Jordan Chirico said. "In my four years I've never seen them rush the field like that. To have that support makes us want to go all the way again because we know they are behind us. To have them jump on us, cheering and going crazy -- that doesn't happen many places. That's the Hoosier fans right there."\nThe 4,884 fans in attendance set the 6th highest total in IU men's soccer history. After leading the nation in average attendance last season, the Hoosiers have averaged 3,292 fans per contest this year.\n"Unbelievable," Freitag said about the Hoosier crowd. "There must be no homework tonight. What I liked about (the crowd) were the students. It seemed like there were more students than usual. People say soccer isn't an exciting sport, but we sure got a rise out of the students tonight."\nLast season's Missouri Athletic Club's Herman Trophy winner, Danny O'Rourke, attended last night's game to watch current Herman Trophy candidates Plotkin, junior forward Jacob Peterson and junior defender Jed Zayner spearhead the Hoosier victory.\nThe San Jose Earthquakes drafted O'Rourke with the fourth pick in the MLS Superdraft. He started 12 games in the defensive midfield for the Earthquakes last season.\nThe Hoosier victory impressed O'Rourke in his homecoming to Bill Armstrong Stadium to watch his former teammates.\n"I'm so proud of them," O'Rourke said. "People have been second guessing them all year, but the way they've played all year has made me proud to be an alum. I can't guarantee (a third straight championship), but I'm pretty positive they are going to do it"