IU advances to final, falls to Wolverines

Hoosiers beat Wildcats, Buckeyes before losing 3-0

For the second time in two weeks, the IU field hockey came up just short in its attempt to capture the first Big Ten title in program history. Last weekend, the Hoosiers missed out on a share of a Big Ten regular season title after an overtime loss to Penn State. Sunday, IU lost to Michigan 3-0 in the Big Ten tournament championship game held in Iowa City, Iowa. \nThe second-seeded Hoosiers advanced to the title game for the first time in team history after they defeated seventh-seeded Northwestern in the first round Friday and then took down third-seeded Ohio State in Saturday's semifinal matchup.\nDespite the loss in the championship game, IU head coach Amy Robertson said she was pleased with the team's historic performance in the tournament.\n"We played a really great tournament, and we have a lot to be optimistic about," Robertson said. "No matter what, this was the best season we've ever had." \nIn Sunday's championship match, Michigan jumped out to an early lead when Erin Dallas netted a goal in the second minute of the game. From there, the Wolverines never looked back, adding two more goals in the first half. The 3-0 first half advantage proved to be all fourth-seeded Michigan needed, as IU suffered its second loss in a title-clinching game in two weeks.\n"The game was won and lost in the first few minutes," Robertson said. "They got us out of our rhythm early, and we never really recovered, even though we outplayed them in the second half." \nFriday's first round 2-1 overtime victory against the Wildcats marked the first win for an IU field hockey team in Big Ten tournament history. Despite trailing 1-0 at halftime, the Hoosiers battled back and tied the game in the second half when senior Nikki Orciuch scored her seventh goal of the season off a rebounded shot by sophomore Meredith Brown. With only 20 seconds remaining in regulation, Northwestern drew a penalty corner, but sophomore All- Big Ten goalkeeper Haley Exner blocked the shot to send the game into IU's fifth consecutive overtime game. In overtime, the Hoosiers sealed the historic victory when senior Mallory Reabold found junior Lydia Schrott for the game-winning goal on a team tournament record 41st shot of the game. \n"It felt great to finally advance in the tournament," said senior back and All-Tournament selection Morgan Albini. "It's a big relief to get that first win and advance."\nSaturday, the Hoosiers faced No. 3-seeded Ohio State in the semifinals knowing a victory would propel them to the championship game against defending title holders Michigan, who upset top-seeded Penn State earlier in the day. \nThe Hoosiers struck first when senior Big Ten Player of the Year Kayla Bashore found Schrott in front of the cage for her 14th goal of the season in the 24th minute. The Hoosiers took the 1-0 lead into halftime, but 10 minutes into the second half, the Buckeyes tied the game when Curlyne Wynn converted a penalty corner into Ohio State's first goal. IU retaliated a minute and a half later when Bashore converted her own penalty corner into a goal. IU sealed the victory when senior Ryan Woolsey scored her first goal of the season off a rebounded shot by senior Lesley Wiler that struck the post. With the 3-1 victory, the Hoosiers advanced to the Big Ten championship game for the first time in school history. \n"This weekend was a great weekend for the team, and I think we really made a statement out there," said All-Tournament selection Reabold. \nDespite the loss to the Wolverines, the Hoosiers' season is not necessarily over. NCAA tournament selections and seedings will be announced Tuesday, and the 16-4 Hoosiers are in position to receive an at-large invitation to the tournament for the first time. \nEvery year since 2001, the Big Ten conference has sent three teams to the season-ending tournament, and with Michigan receiving an automatic entry because of Sunday's win, and regular season champions Penn State a seeming lock for the second invitation, the regular season and tournament runner-up Hoosiers appear to be in line to receive the third invitation from the conference. \n"I'm positive we'll get a bid," Robertson said. "This isn't the end of our season, and there's a feeling on the team that we're not done yet"